hst337

hst337

Magic BIFs and NIFs in OTP and Elixir

For the last few weeks I was working on purity and effects analyzer of Elixir and Erlang projects, and I came across a bunch of interesting functions which were built-in but undocumented or hidden.

Please, do not use them in production systems because they’re a subject to change
But don’t hesitate to play with them to check how the erlang runtime works, or make some dark magic there

  • :erts_internal.cmp_term compares two terms in oldschool -1, 0, 1 fashion
  • :erts_internal.term_type, function which returns a top-level type of the structure. Interesting thing is that for [] it returns nil and for nil it returns :atom. This function is really useful for debugging of binaries
  • :erts_internal.map_to_tuple_keys to show keys tuple for flatmaps (maps with <= 32 keys)
  • :erts_internal.map_hashmap_children to show the Tree representation of the hashmap (map with > 32 keys)
  • :erts_internal.ets_super_user to make the current process become a ETS process with maximum privileges. Process will have read/write access to any ets table (even protected and private ones)
  • :binary.referenced_byte_size (documented) to check a size of a referenced binary
  • :prim_eval.receve which works like a normal receive, but allows to decide whether to pick or not to pick the message from the queue to the closure rather then a pattern. It allows to peek in the head of the queue, without taking the value out of queue
  try do: :prim_eval.receive(fn x -> throw(x) end, 0), catch: (x -> x)
  • :erts_debug.same to check if the values are represented by the exactly same structure in memory (this means that pointers for heap values are equal)
  • :erts_debug.size and :erts_debug.flat_size to check the size with term reusage and flat size like if every term was referenced only once.

If you know any other magic functions, please post them in this thread :hugs:

Showing Posts 1 to 2

evadne

evadne

I have a practical one:

:erlang.display_string '\a'

:joy:

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

This one is documented but :erlang.phash2/2 can be quite useful to hash any arbitrary term as an integer within a range.

iex> :erlang.phash2({:works, %{with: ["just", "anything"]}}, 1000)
915
# default range of 2^27
iex> :erlang.phash2({:works, %{with: ["just", "anything"]}})
28206459
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews