easco

easco

I have a process, using gen_statem, which was crashing (and being restarted by a supervisor) because of an unhandled exception.

When I first encountered the issue while debugging it was clear that the process was restarting, but the unhandled exception didn’t cause anything to be printed to the console. It would silently fail, the supervisor would restart things, and the cycle would continue.

Tracking down the issue would have been much faster if the exception had been more “noisy”. I tried using the :debug option for my server with both “:trace” and “:log” - while it was interesting to see the system messages the exception was still silently raised and handled.

Is there something I could have done to make the unhandled exception more “noisy”, at least in dev mode, so I could have come to a resolution more swiftly?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Enable the built-in sasl app, but be warned, it will be VERY noisy. It logs all OTP process creation and crashes and so forth.

grzuy

grzuy

For what is worth, updating this thread after 5 years.

Fortunately now (since Erlang/OTP 21) a new improved logger exists, which deprecates the sasl app.

Quote from SASL Error Logging — OTP 29.0.2 (sasl 4.4) as of today:

The SASL error logging concept described in this section is deprecated since Erlang/OTP 21.0, when the new logging API was introduced.

The new default behaviour is that the SASL application no longer affects which log events that are logged. Supervisor reports and crash reports are logged via the default logger handler which is setup by Kernel. Progress reports are by default not logged, but can be enabled by setting the primary log level to info, for example by using the Kernel configuration parameter logger_level.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews