Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have an ETS table where several processes can write concurrently. This table is very very requested, so having a GenServer as a gatekeeper serializing writes is not an option (it can’t hold the load).

Problem

The solution to this, given the GenServer limitations, would be to have each write be atomic. Now, I am aware of update_counter, but there is one problem. My ETS table doesn’t save counters, it saves lists of urls:

  def save_failed_request(url) do
    urls = :ets.lookup(__MODULE__, :failed_urls)

    case urls do
      []  ->
        :ets.insert(__MODULE__, {:failed_urls, [url]})

      [failed_urls: list] ->
        new_list = [url] ++ list
        :ets.insert(__MODULE__, {:failed_urls, new_list})
    end

    {:ok, :saved}
  end

This is the code I currently have to save an URL. Since multiple processes can be calling this function concurrently, multiple processes can be writing in the ETS table under the same key, which is not good.

Question

Is there any ETS function that allows me to make atomic updates on values stored in the table?
Or do I have to use counters ? (because the only atomic operation that exists for updates is update_counter?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Few questions:

  • What’s the reasoning for just using a single key? Usually it’s preferable to split the data over many keys in ets, which makes them easier to query.
  • Is this simply an append and be fine storage? If so simply try to insert and let it fail if an url is already existing (would need refactoring away from using a list though).
Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

I am not interested in querying anything. All I want this table to do is to save URLs whose requests failed. Then, when the time comes, the outside process will query the table for all URLs (always all) and I just returns them and clear the table.

So, 1 key is all I need.

I don;t quite understand. The :failed_urls key is supposed to have a list of urls. Are you suggesting I use a :bag ETS table instead of a set and then just have multiple URLs saved there?

Could you elaborate?

peerreynders

peerreynders

Try

insert_new(tab, {url,url})

for each url - later foldl over the entire table.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

I was actually thinking about using http://erlang.org/doc/man/ets.html#take-2 to get everything with the same key and remove it in one go :smiley:

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

:ets.delete_all_objects(tab)

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

delete_all_objects doesn’t actually return them, which is something I want in addition to deleting them :stuck_out_tongue:

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Then is really going to be a :bag

tab = :ets.new(name, [:bag])
:ets.insert(tab, {:failed, url1})
:ets.insert(tab, {:failed, url2})
failed = :ets.take(tab, :failed) |> Keyword.values()
# [url1, url2]
peerreynders

peerreynders

:bag comes with the implementation overhead of checking for duplicates on insert; so unless you explicitly need to prevent duplicate full records, you should use :duplicate_bag over :bag .

i.e. may be worth dealing with duplicates after take/2

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

Could you elaborate ?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

It might be better for performance to us :duplicate_bag, which is mentioned to be faster on inserts, and deduplicate the urls after using take/2.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews