Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have a process that tries to establish a connection to a server and I am testing it. On the happy path, I check that the process does it’s job once it connects.

But its the sad path that is interesting. Should the process fail to connect to the server, I want it to be gracefully terminated and to stop initialization. How do I test this without making the test fail? (the expected behaviour is to have the process die after all)

Code

Worker:

def init(state) do
  Process.flag(:trap_exit, true)
  {:ok, state, {:continue, :establish_conn}}
end

def handle_continue(:establish_conn, state) do
   
    conn_deps = [
      open_fn:      state.deps.http.open,
      await_fn:     state.deps.http.await_up,
      dump_error:   state.deps.dumper.save_failed_request
    ]

    base_url = state.opts.base_url

    with  {:ok, conn_pid} <- Logic.establish_connection(base_url, conn_deps)
    do
      new_state = %{state | conn_pid: conn_pid}
      {:noreply, new_state}
    else
      {:error, reason} -> {:stop, reason, state}
    end
  end

  def terminate(_reason, state) do
    Logic.close_connection(state.conn_pid, [close_fn: state.deps.http.close])
  end

Because connections take a long time to establish, I use handle_continue. However, since in this case the process will fail to connect, handle_continue will return {:stop, reason, state} and prevent the process from continuing, which is expected.

The process then suicides itself and executes the terminate function.

Question

How do I test this without making the tests fail?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

peerreynders

peerreynders

Anything wrong with the terminate_wait approach?

So for example you could just stick a monitor on the process and wait for the :DOWN message with a blocking receive with a timeout.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

Actually, simply using the format:


    test "closes connection if it cannot establish it" do
      Process.flag :trap_exit, true

      args = %{a: 1, b: 2}

      Worker.start_link(args)

      assert_receive {:EXIT, _, :my_awesome_termination_reason_here_in_this_place}
      Process.flag :trap_exit, false
    end

Does the trick. No supervisor needed

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews