Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background
I use a library that defines a new pipeline macro, the triple arrow >>>. So in my code, it is normal to have something like this:
def safe_div(a, b), do:
a
|> divide(b)
>>> handle_result()
This magic here is in handle_result. What the >>> does is not important, what matters here is that this is a type of format that I want to see in my code.
Problem
The problem here is the mix format does not know how that it should treat >>> as it treats |>. So inevitably my code becomes:
def safe_div(a, b), do:
a
|> divide(b) >>> handle_result()
Which is very ugly and impossible to read for larger functions.
I have tried to find a way to change mix format’s configuration to fix this issue, unfortunately I was not able to find anything.
Question
- Can I configure
mix formatto treat>>>as a|>? - If not, would it be a bad idea to make a PR where people would be allowed to define “pipelike” operators/macros, thus telling
mix formathow to behave?
Basically, what options do I have here ?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mudasobwa
I cannot validate it now, but I guess
>>>/2macro should injectend_of_expression: [newlines: 1]or like into meta (second tuple element) of the corresponding AST it produces.Somewhat like here.
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Quite interesting. So I would have to change the code of the library I am using, right?
josevalim
Here are the operators we consider pipeline like: elixir/lib/elixir/lib/code/formatter.ex at v1.11.4 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub
>>>isn’t one because it is also used as a Bitwise operator by Elixir.mudasobwa
Well, better change the operator to one of those considered pipes already, but if the consumer code is already full of calls and you don’t want to stick to it, change the
>>>/2itself. If I am not mistaken with the approach.Fl4m3Ph03n1x
@josevalim and @mudasobwa Thank you all for your support and answers. I will now see what I can do!