RyanS

RyanS

I’m building a chat application, and would like to have a typing indicator (like a bouncing ...) appear when I’m waiting on a response, and then disappear when the response appears.

Currently I have the following in my template. When @typing is set to true, the typing indicator appears just like it should. But when @typing is set to false (and I’ve confirmed it’s getting set to false with a {typing} in the template), the indicator stays.

Lots of iterations and attempts with ChatGPT have gotten me nowhere, so I come to you experts. How do I make the contents of the if @typing do section disappear once @typing is false?

    <div
    id="messages"
    phx-update="stream"
    class="space-y-4 relative w-full p-6 overflow-y-auto scroll-smooth h-[30rem]"
    phx-hook="ScrollToBottom"
  >
    <%= for {message_id, message} <- @streams.messages do %>
      <div id={message_id} class="flow-root">
        <div class={[
          "relative max-w-md mx-4 px-4 py-2 text-gray-700 rounded shadow bg-gray-100 border-gray-500 justify-start text-left",
          if(message.actor == "user",
            do: "bg-lime-100 justify-end float-right text-right",
            else: "bg-gray-400 float-left"
          )
        ]}>
          <span class="block">{message.content}</span>
        </div>
      </div>
    <% end %>

    <%= if @typing do %>
      <div id="typing-indicator" class="flex clear-both items-center pt-8 justify-left">
        <div class="typing-indicator">
          <span></span>
          <span></span>
          <span></span>
        </div>
      </div>
    <% end %>

    <div class="float-left clear-both" id="messages-end"></div>
  </div>

Showing Posts 1 to 3

cmo

cmo

I feel like that should work. Is @typing coming through as an atom (i.e. true/false) or a string?

This is more efficient:


      <div id="typing-indicator" class="flex clear-both items-center pt-8 justify-left data-[typing=false]:hidden" data-typing={Atom.to_string(@typing)}>
        <div class="typing-indicator">
          <span></span>
          <span></span>
          <span></span>
        </div>
      </div>
    <% end %>
RyanS

RyanS OP

That did it! Thank you. And now I’ve learned a new trick.

steffend

steffend

Phoenix Core Team

This is actually a limitation of streams: if you render a non-stream item, that is any element that is not part of the list of items passed to stream/4 with a corresponding DOM ID, inside a stream container, such an item will never be removed. See also Phoenix.LiveView — Phoenix LiveView v1.2.5

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews