augnustin

augnustin

Hello,

I would like to have robots.txt empty in production, but in my staging environment that it contains:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

Is there a way to simply achieve this?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 8

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

robots.txt is a static file pushed to web root by copy-webpack-plugin.

I think your solution is to check env in webpack, and change copy-webpack-plugin config to depend on it.

Phillipp

Phillipp

I would simply define a route for it and dynamically render it by environment.

augnustin

augnustin OP

This could make sense if I need dynamic content based on app’s data (eg. excluding some route based on ids etc.) but in my case, the webpack solution shall be more accurate.

cnck1387

cnck1387

Another option could be to have your configuration management tool write your robots.txt file. That’s what I do in Ansible. Then I just write a different robots.txt depending on which server / environment I’m deploying to and the code for it is alongside my other environment specific settings.

Phillipp

Phillipp

The Webpack solution means you have to create a separate build for each environment. So if you are fine with the state on the staging system, you have to create a new build for the prod system instead of adjusting some env vars.

augnustin

augnustin OP

What do you mean by

your configuration management tool write your robots.txt file

?

cnck1387

cnck1387

Certain configuration management tools allow you to have different settings for different environments. You could have your tool of choice write a robots.txt file to your staging server one way but have it different on your production server.

In other words your robots.txt file is managed by the tool you use to deploy your site instead of being part of your code repo. There’s little value in having it as part of your code repo IMO, especially since you’ll very likely want it to be different between environments.

Also in the future, if you want a dynamic robots.txt file you can either generate it on the spot with a custom Phoenix route, or have a cron job on your server generate a robots.txt file on whatever schedule you want so you can serve it with nginx or a CDN.

In all cases it doesn’t involve having a robots.txt file directly in your code repo.

sheerlox

sheerlox

Reviving this thread with a solution on how to achieve this behavior with a Plug, since I haven’t been able to find an answer here or on the Fly.io forums:

lib/my_app_web/plugs/robots.ex

defmodule MyAppWeb.Plugs.Robots do
  @behaviour Plug

  import Plug.Conn

  @impl true
  def init(opts), do: opts

  def call(%Plug.Conn{request_path: "/robots.txt"} = conn, _opts) do
    deploy_env = Application.get_env(:unill, :deploy_env)
    file = Application.app_dir(:unill, "priv/static/robots-#{deploy_env}.txt")


    content = File.read!(file)

    conn
    |> send_resp(200, content)
    |> halt()
  end

  @impl true
  def call(conn, _opts), do: conn
end

lib/my_app_web/endpoint.ex

defmodule MyAppWeb.Endpoint do
  use Phoenix.Endpoint, otp_app: :my_app

  plug MyAppWeb.Plugs.Robots

config/runtime.exs

deploy_env =
  case System.get_env("PHX_HOST") do
    "myapp.com" -> :production
    "staging.myapp.com" -> :staging
    _ -> :dev
  end

config :my_app, :deploy_env, deploy_env

Then, create the relevant robots-staging.txt and robots-production.txt files in priv/static/.

Remember to remove the robots.txt from the static_paths in lib/my_app_web.ex, although this plug should load and return a response before it if you’ve added it before the Plug.Static configuration.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews