jmaniex

jmaniex

I have a Class struct which contains a set of Topics. I am
trying to treat Class as an Aggregate root in DDD parlance. Which
means all updates to sub-entities of Class (Topics in this case)
have to be managed by the Class. This is to maintain invariants within
the Class and provide transactional consistency within Class and its
sub entities.

Here is an outline of what I have:

def changeset(class, attrs) do
  class
  |> cast(attrs, [:name,...])
  |> cast_assoc(:class_topics)
  |> validate_required([:name, ...])
end
def create_topic(%Class{} = class, attrs \\ %{}) do
  number = length(class.topics) + 1

  new_topic =
    class.topics
    |> Enum.concat([Map.put(attrs, "number", number)])

  result = class
  |> Class.changeset(%{topics: new_topic})
  |> Repo.update()
end

This complains about cast_assoc requiring Maps (whereas in this case
Topic structs are supplied)

So I updated it to this:

def create_topic(%Class{} = class, attrs \\ %{}) do
  number = length(class.topics) + 1

  new_topic =
    class.topics
    |> Enum.map(fn i -> %{id: i.id} end)
    |> Enum.concat([Map.put(attrs, "number", number)])

  result = class
  |> Class.changeset(%{topics: new_topic})
  |> Repo.update()
end

Which also doesn’t achieve what I want.

I am doing it like this as there are additional constraints on the topics
being created - which prevents me from just creating a topic without first
preloading and validating against existing topics. (For example, I want
to ensure that there is at most 1 Topic which has a particular category
in a Class - which requires me to have them all available to validate this
when creating or updating a topic.)

I think there is something obvious I am not understanding - so I thought
I’d post the question here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

aseigo

aseigo

The code seems to be trying too hard to literally reflect the design concept you have in mind, by literally updating the Class db entry in order to create a new Topic row. Storage != responsibility.

It is entirely sensible to have create_topic in the Class module (I often do this myself as well for exclusively-owned associated data, for similar reasons as you are doing here), but trying to mimic this with storage layer interaction is a step too far imho.

Just do the validation in create_topic/2 and then .. well .. create a new Topic row in the db using Topic.changeset/2 and Repo.insert. Easy-peasy, and you’ll not need to work around Ecto so much, let alone have those Enum.map/2/Enum.concat/2 chains.

jmaniex

jmaniex OP

Thanks @aseigo - I think I understand what you are saying.

So to do that I would need to read/preload the topics, do the validation/calculate derived data and create/update the new Topic record all inside of a transaction. Holding a lock on the Class row to ensure that there is not another concurrent update to the list of Topics associated with the class - which could break my desired invariants.

Does that sound right?

aseigo

aseigo

You would need to do such a lock anyways, since as it is written now you could end up in the same situation. create_topic could be called from multiple processes as it is!

But .. this is what databases are for: ACID. I would personally put such a constraint check in the database itself, either as a constraint on the relevant fields, or as a function used as a constraint trigger. Putting constraints that require global consistency in the application layer is rarely worth it. This would also obviate the need to fetch the current topics (with a lock, no less): the topic number could be set and the constraints checked in the database itself, and it would be done with guaranteed consistency. So, better guarantees and fewer roundtrips to the database. Constraint violations are returned as errors from Ecto, so you would be able to detect the violations in the application code still.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews