Astarno

Astarno

Hi there,

Is there any way to change/edit the code/ast of a module before it compiles? I am trying to use the Interceptor library to add logging functionality to a module. In order to work, this library requires all functions to be traced to either be wrapped in a special do block or to be annotated.

Now, I would like for the user to be able to just write his regular code without having to worry about this wrapping/annotation at all. As such, my question is if it would be possible to leverage some metaprogramming, module callbacks or something else to automatically make the necessary changes to the code at compile time.

For example, let’s say I want to trace all functions, could I make something such that the code below:

defmodule Stack do
  use GenServer
  require Interceptor, as: I

      def start_link(default) when is_list(default) do
        GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, default)
      end
  
      @impl true
      def init(stack) do
        {:ok, stack}
      end
  
      @impl true
      def handle_call(:pop, _from, [head | tail]) do
        {:reply, head, tail}
      end
  
      @impl true
      def handle_cast({:push, element}, state) do
        {:noreply, [element | state]}
      end

end

Either gets manipulated to look like this:

defmodule Stack do
  use GenServer
  require Interceptor, as: I

    I.Intercept do 
       def start_link(default) when is_list(default) do
         GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, default)
       end

       @impl true
       def init(stack) do
         {:ok, stack}
       end

       @impl true
       def handle_call(:pop, _from, [head | tail]) do
         {:reply, head, tail}
       end

       @impl true
       def handle_cast({:push, element}, state) do
         {:noreply, [element | state]}
       end
    end
end

Or gets manipulated to look like this:

defmodule Stack do
  use GenServer
  require Interceptor, as: I

      @intercept true
      def start_link(default) when is_list(default) do
        GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, default)
      end
  
      @impl true
      @intercept true
      def init(stack) do
        {:ok, stack}
      end
  
      @impl true
      @intercept true
      def handle_call(:pop, _from, [head | tail]) do
        {:reply, head, tail}
      end
  
      @impl true
      @intercept true
      def handle_cast({:push, element}, state) do
        {:noreply, [element | state]}
      end

end

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

By design we don’t allow so. Any transformation in the code has to be explicit. So you have to wrap it with the block yourself. :slight_smile:

Astarno

Astarno OP

That is unfortunate, at least in my case. Thanks for your reply!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews