kdubovikov

kdubovikov

I am trying to build a form that allows users to create a Team with leaders and members that I’ve set up as many_to_many relation with User table. User should be able to dynamically add as many members or leaders as he wants when creating a new Team.

I find creating something like this to be a pretty challenging experience with Phoenix.

I have built an autocomplete component that allows to select a user by typing an email. Then, I am trying to use this component inside my new Team form. Once a selection is made, I am sending an event with the selected user_id to the parent component, where I try to modify my Ecto Changeset to reflect the addition.

The entire setup is pretty convoluted with sending events between form and autocomplete components, sharing changeset and parent component IDs for sending messages from autocomplete back to form. Is this functionality something that I should avoid building when working with Phoenix and LiveView?

Here is a list of problems that I am meeting:

  1. I can’t figure out how to add a link to an existing user into a changeset
  2. The entire form gets validated each time I type a letter in the team name field
  3. Each time when I add a new user entry to the autocomplete component, all other entries get erased (I guess I reset the state accidentally somewhere in the code)

I was not able to find up-to-date examples on how to build such forms. Could someone navigate me on how to approach this?

I have uploaded my code for reference:

Showing Posts 1 to 1

mayel

mayel

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews