venomnert

venomnert

Context:

A customer_lead can be associated to many service_category. A service_category can be associated to many customer_leads.

customerleads_service migration

 create table(:customerlead_service) do
      add :service_category_id, references("service_categories")
      add :customer_lead_id, references("customer_leads")

      timestamps()
    end

customer_service schema

schema "customerlead_service" do
    belongs_to :customer_leads, CustomerLead
    belongs_to :service_categories, ServiceCategory

    timestamps()
  end

customer migration

  create table(:customer_leads) do
      add :first_name,      :string
      add :last_name,       :string
      add :email,           :string
      add :address,         :string
      add :phone_number,    :string
      add :company_name,    :string
      add :message,         :string
      add :status,          :boolean, null: false, default: false

      timestamps()
    end

customer schema

  schema "customer_leads" do
    field :first_name,      :string
    field :last_name,       :string
    field :email,           :string
    field :address,         :string
    field :phone_number,    :string
    field :company_name,    :string
    field :message,         :string
    field :status,          :boolean

    many_to_many :service_categories, ServiceCategory,
      join_through: CustomerleadService

    timestamps()
  end
   def changeset(customer, attrs \\ %{}) do
    customer
    |> cast(attrs, @required_fields ++ @optional_fields)
    |> validate_required(@required_fields)
  end

  def add_service_to_customer_lead(changeset, attrs) do
    service = Ramlaw.Services.get_service_category_by([slug: attrs["services"]])
              |> Repo.preload(:customer_leads)

    changeset
    |> Repo.preload(:service_categories)
    |> Ecto.Changeset.change()
    |> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:service_categories, [service])
    |> Repo.update!()
  end


service migration

create table(:service_categories) do
      add :title,     :string
      add :slug,      :string
      add :status,    :boolean, null: false, default: false

      timestamps()
    end

service schema

schema "service_categories" do
    field :title,   :string
    field :slug,    :string
    field :status,  :boolean

    has_many :services, Service,
      on_delete:    :delete_all,
      foreign_key:  :service_categories_id,
      on_replace:   :nilify

    many_to_many :customer_leads, CustomerLead,
      join_through: CustomerleadService

    timestamps()
  end

The problem

In my test I noticed when I first create a customer_lead, the service_category get’s associated properly

AFTER INSERT: %Ramlaw.Schema.CustomerLead{
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "customer_leads">,
  address: nil,
  company_name: "profilo",
  email: "venomnert1994@hotmail.com",
  first_name: "Nert",
  id: 4,
  inserted_at: ~U[2019-11-10 13:23:06Z],
  last_name: "test",
  message: "fdafsa",
  phone_number: "6473355012",
  service_categories: [
    %Ramlaw.Schema.ServiceCategory{
      __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "service_categories">,
      customer_leads: [],
      id: 10,
      inserted_at: ~U[2019-11-10 13:23:06Z],
      services: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded<association :services is not loaded>,
      slug: "family-law",
      status: false,
      title: "Family Law",
      updated_at: ~U[2019-11-10 13:23:06Z]
    }
  ],
  status: nil,
  updated_at: ~U[2019-11-10 13:23:06Z]
}

However, when I query the same customer_lead that was added, its service_category is empty. Also this applies to the associated service_category as well.

Code snippet

service_cat
    |> Repo.preload(:customer_leads)
    |> IO.inspect(label: "RESULTS")

 ClientLeads.get_client_lead(added_client.id)
    |> IO.inspect(label: "TEST")

result

RESULTS: %Ramlaw.Schema.ServiceCategory{
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "service_categories">,
  customer_leads: [],
  id: 10,
  inserted_at: ~U[2019-11-10 13:23:06Z],
  services: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded<association :services is not loaded>,
  slug: "family-law",
  status: nil,
  title: "Family Law",
  updated_at: ~U[2019-11-10 13:23:06Z]
}
TEST: %Ramlaw.Schema.CustomerLead{
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "customer_leads">,
  address: nil,
  company_name: "profilo",
  email: "venomnert1994@hotmail.com",
  first_name: "Nert",
  id: 4,
  inserted_at: ~U[2019-11-10 13:23:06Z],
  last_name: "test",
  message: "fdafsa",
  phone_number: "6473355012",
  service_categories: [],
  status: false,
  updated_at: ~U[2019-11-10 13:23:06Z]
}

I feel like I have set up everything correctly regarding the many-to-many association; however, i’m not able to retrieve the associations.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

venomnert

venomnert OP

If anyone else runs into this issue, the solution is to remove schema for the joining table customer_service schema.

And update your schema to the following, which is to remove the timestamp:

customerleads_service migration

 create table(:customerlead_service) do
      add :service_category_id, references("service_categories")
      add :customer_lead_id, references("customer_leads")
    end

However, I’m not sure as to why the schema was causing this issue though.

Also this post at ElixirSchool definitely helped:

csisnett

csisnett

timestamps() don’t work when you create an intermediary record like that. You have to create a new record independently by passing the parents tables IDs as attributes. The problem I’ve had with the update syntax as shown in the elixir school article is that you’re replacing all intermediary records customer_lead_services with those specific customer_lead_id and service_categories_id, so it’s not the best option to use the syntax if you want to continue to add intermediary records afterward.

venomnert

venomnert OP

Hey @csisnett sorry for the late response. But can you elaborate more on this by providing some pseudo code. I’m not able to follow what you are saying, i’m still new to ecto :confused:

csisnett

csisnett

Sure no problem @venomnert,

you would need a changeset function for the customerlead_service schema as well.

def changeset(customerlead_service, attrs) do
  customerlead_service
  |> cast(attrs, [:customer_leads_id, :service_categories_id])
  |> validate_required([:customer_leads_id, :service_categories_id])
end

To create the record you would need the parent tables to be created already


customer_lead = %CustomerLead{...}
service_category = %ServiceCategory{...}
attrs = %{"customer_leads_id" => customerlead.id, "service_categories_id" => service_category.id}

and call this function (which should be in your Context) passing attrs

def create_customerlead_service(attrs = %{}) do
  %CustomerLeadService{}
  |> CustomerLeadService.changeset(attrs)
  |> Repo.insert()
end

Not relevant to the question but I would change field names in the customerlead_service schema from :customer_leads and :service_categories to :customer_lead and service_category as you’re only referring to one and not several in the intermediary table.

venomnert

venomnert OP

@csisnett with this current approach as you mentioned initially “You have to create a new record independently by passing the parents tables IDs as attributes”, I would manually have to create the record, so that timestamp works.

Out of curiosity, is there a better alternative to creating many-to-many relationship?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews