didier
Hi there,
I want to get the average height of a given list of people. Here is the associated code :
people = [%{name: 'Mary', height: 160},
%{name: 'Paul', height: 180},
%{name: 'Hugo'}]
heights = Enum.map(people, fn person -> Map.get(person, :height) end)
heights = Enum.filter(heights, fn h -> h != nil end)
if length(heights) > 0, do: (
Enum.reduce(heights, 0, fn (h, total) -> total + h end) / length(heights)
)
Is there a better way to do this? I would like to know if there is a way to filter a list of maps by a given key (here, the height property).
Thanks,
Didier
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
I’d go for roughly the following as an
avgfunction:The cool thing about this is, that you only need to iterate a single time over the input list.
Currently it would fail on non-numeric input, but you can easily define appropriate guards. Adding one which does simply ignore
nils should be easy.And as a small rule of thumb, when you start chaining from one
Enum-function into another, you might think about usingStreaminstead to reduce the number of iterations over the complete input.But this really depends on the size of your input, if your input is short enough and the
Enum-chains also, thenStreammight take much more time.gregvaughn
Applying @NobbZ’s approach to your specific situation, I’d be looking at something like:
rvirding
You are almost at the stage where it is easier to write the loop directly and not use
Enum.gregvaughn
You say “loop” and that makes me wonder. I don’t see a good way to do it in one pass with a list comprehension. I can do it with recursion, but I prefer
Enum.reduceNobbZ
My professor for functional programming used to say, that “loop” is just another word for recursion
didier
Thanks for your replies! I really appreciate ! I’m a totally noob with functional programming and elixir. This is far different from traditional OOP…
matt212
Hi,
I am at very nascent stage in elixir , was wondering how can we achieve below case scenario in elixir
I only require to get only two columns out of three with new column names !
OvermindDL1
Assuming that above is javascript, the equivalent in Elixir would be:
So getting just a list of maps containing all of the
dockerNumber’s andplayedBy’s only would be as a direct translation of your next javascript (assuming you meant to swap the keys and values since they were backwards):As seen here:
There are other more traditionally elixir’y ways, but for such a simple example this is a simple output.
matt212
Woah, thanks a lot ,excellent ! can we also club filter with existing map, just curious though !
OvermindDL1
The ‘traditional’ Elixir way of writing that is in one of two forms, either via Enum piping:
Or via a
for comprehension:Or something like that.
EDIT: Also, this forum is Discourse, it supports normal markdown, so using code fences like:
Gets turned into this:
With syntax coloring and all.