dokicro
Hi,
I am new to elixir and here is part of the code I dont like
slider = case Map.has_key?(attrs, :slider_id) do
true -> get_slider!(attrs.slider_id)
false -> get_slider!(attrs["slider_id"])
end
Reason for this is because when I do attrs = Map.put(attrs, :slider_id, slider.id) in sliders_test map key is atom
But when I do the same thing in slider_controller_test map key is string.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
kokolegorille
You could…
As a rule of thumb, expect data coming from outside to be “key”, and after cast to be :key.
sorentwo
You would be best served treating all incoming params as having string keys. If you must accept either atom or string keys, then using
Map.get(“key”) || Map.get(:key)would be clearer than a case.dokicro
Thanks guys for your help, I agree that this is much cleaner syntax.
Nicd
To elaborate a bit, the reason why map keys from external sources (like user input) are strings, is that atoms are not garbage collected and there is a set maximum amount of atoms available in the system. If you exceed that amount, the VM will crash. So that’s why you shouldn’t create atoms from user input for example.
dokicro
But why is
phx gengenerating tests maps with keys?I tried to put
slider_idas string but I got this:expected params to be a map with atoms or string keys, got a map with mixed keysSo I should convert all pregenerated keys from atoms to string?
Example:
@valid_attrs %{description: "some description"}to
@valid_attrs %{"description" "some description"}mbuhot
The test maps should be automatically serialised to json by the phoenix test helpers, then deserialised to string-keyed maps in the Plug.Parsers plug declared in your endpoint module.
dokicro
They are only in controllers tests…
LostKobrakai
Params in contollers have string keys because anybody can send you any param and creating an atom for those would be a attack vector to crash the vm. It’s still generally adviced to work with atom keys in your business part of the app and to sanitize and atomize params before passing things forward into it.
sharkvan
This is interesting. In test that are generated by phx.gen.html the controller tests will have a fixture function that creates a test record with Ecto. But there is no changing of the atom keys to string keys. So if you do anything inside the context modules where you expect a string key from the controller your tests fail but the website works. Hmm, not great.
mbuhot
If you are getting anything other than string keyed params in Controllers then there is something wrong with the test.