air

air

Hi all! Just want to know if there is someone else thinking Map.take is not a very good name for function that returns subset of a map. It’s not an issue or something but I feel uncomfortable with that name. In ruby, for example, method with same functionality called slice. When I type Map.take([:a, :b]) I expect a list of values mapped to these keys. What do you think?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

lucaong

lucaong

You mean you would expect it to do something like this?

Enum.map(keys, fn key ->
   case Map.fetch(map, key) do
     {:ok, value} -> {key, value}
     _ -> nil
   end
 end)

Perhaps, but I think that the name take is not obviously indicating one or the other case, so I personally don’t think it’s a bad name. Maybe it could have been called Map.pick, just to differentiate it from Enum.take which takes a number of elements, but renaming it now would have much bigger disadvantages than advantages in my opinion.

air

air OP

I expect it like this:

take = fn map, keys ->
  Enum.map keys, & Map.get(map, &1)
end

a = %{a: 1, b: 2, c: 3}
take.(a, [:b, :c])
> [2, 3]

Well, I don’t think it has to be renamed. Just want to know what other people think about it.

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

I find it quite understandable. I’ve always found slice hard to remember, even after many years of Ruby

air

air OP

My point is that you take values from map. I think, slice is not ideal either. But in my opinion, it is better that take.

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

You also take a subset. Language is tricky :slight_smile:

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

The name take seems very natural to me. What you describe there could be done with %{a: 1, b: 2, c: 3} |> Map.take([:b, :c]) |> Map.values() (provided ordering is not important).

However, I have wanted a Map.values/2 that has an extra parameter to name which keys’ values you want.

air

air OP

Yes, I can, but I also can do it with several other ways. But oneliner is much prettier that 2 pipes.

That’s a very good idea!
Since Elixir already has Map.values/1 it could be a little effort to make that function.

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

You want a one-liner? You asked the right person :grin:

def values(%{} = map, keys) when is_list(keys), do: for {k, v} <- map, k in keys, do: v
air

air OP

:+1:Like a charm

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

FYI, I’m 90% sure that map |> Map.take(keys) |> Map.values is gonna win from a performance perspective because those are both BIFs.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
OndrejValenta
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly) AI dream has many faces, but general...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews