Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Elixirs Enumerable protocol is built upon the implementation of reduce for different kinds of data structures.

Today, I had a discussion with @benwilson512, di4na and @martin in Slack, about what would be possible if map was used as building block instead.

Basically, there are things that you cannot do with just map, and things you cannot do with just reduce. You can build a semi-working map on top of reduce, but this will not work in the following circumstances:

  • Concurrent access to elements. (see for instance conc lists)
  • Changing values inside complex trees without modifying the tree shape. (AFAIK there is no way for reduce to know the shape of the container it is working on)
    (there is possibly more; let us know)

As a side note, the current reduce algorithm and most of the other functions in Enum that use it internally always return the result as a list.

Of course, there are some things that are reducable but not mappable, such as Ranges.

There are other things that are mappable, but not reducable, such as for instance a ‘Maybe’ (that is either Some x or Nothing).

I think it is interesting to brainstorm about this; Maybe the addition of a Mappable protocol isn’t such a weird idea…

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews