ostap

ostap

I love how one can define a host where the last bit would automatically get matched:

scope "/", host: "about.mysite." do`

But it’s impossible to do the opposite end:

scope "/", host: ".mysite.com" do

(for matching all remaining subdomains)

What are the the implications that prevent this from being possible and what are the alternatives for implementing wildcard subdomain matching in a Phoenix project?


Out of curiosity found that this logic is defined in Plug.Router.Utils.build_host_match:

def build_host_match(host) do
  cond do
    is_nil(host) -> quote do: _
    String.last(host) == "." -> quote do: unquote(host) <> _
    is_binary(host) -> host
  end
end

Therefore I naively tried adding this matching rule :sweat_smile::

      String.first(host) == "." -> quote do: _ <> unquote(host)

But it’s not that easy, since it results in:

Compiling 1 file (.ex)

error: a binary field without size is only allowed at the end of a binary pattern, at the right side of binary concatenation and never allowed in binary generators. The following examples are invalid:

    rest <> "foo"
    <<rest::binary, "foo">>

    "foo" <> rest
    <<"foo", rest::binary>>


  lib/my_app_web/router.ex:1

Showing Posts 1 to 1

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

In short, the “match any subdomain” clause in the router is to just not specify the :host option. The subdomain itself will be available in conn.host so you could pull it out in a plug and do whatever you need to do with it.

If you want different routes depending on the presence of a subdomain, that’s a little different. There are a few discussions around here about it but I’m having trouble finding the ones I found helpful. I do have the (abandon) project I was using it in, though. In short you want to make a plug, check if there is a subdomain then delegate to another router. Maybe there is an easier way at this point? In any event, here is my code:

# lib/my_app_web/subdomain_router.ex
defmodule MyAppWeb.SubdomainRouter do
  # This is just a regular router but with subdomain specific routes
end
# lib/my_app_web/plugs/subdomain_plug
defmodule MyAppWeb.SubdomainPlug do
  import Plug.Conn

  def init(opts), do: opts

  def call(conn, router) do
    case get_subdomain(conn.host) do
      subdomain when byte_size(subdomain) > 0 ->
        conn
        |> fetch_session()
        |> put_session(:subdomain, subdomain)
        |> router.call(router.init({}))
        |> halt()
      _ -> conn
    end
  end

  defp get_subdomain(host) do
    root_host = MyAppWeb.Endpoint.config(:url)[:host]

    if root_host == "localhost" do
      # This handles tests
      ""
    else
      String.replace(host, ~r/.?#{root_host}/, "")
    end
  end
end
# BOTTOM of lib/my_app_web/endpoint.ex
defmodule MyAppWeb.Endpoint do
  # ...
  plug MyAppWeb.SubdomainPlug, MyAppWeb.SubdomainRouter
  plug MyAppWeb.Router
end

Maybe it’s easier at this point? I did always find this to be a little bit of a pain point in Phoenix. Actually, have you tried simply host: "." at all? I can’t remember if that’s a thing or not and don’t feel like spinning up that app :sweat_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews