mgwidmann

mgwidmann

I have personally never put a flow application into production so I was wondering what others were doing with regard to measuring and tuning GenStage and Flow specific metrics. I’ve never seen anything specifically targeted at this and from my experience with GenStage/Flow it can be quite challenging to get it right. Beyond normal CPU/Memory metrics and such, what would you use to tune and monitor your flow application?

Basically, I’d like to know what others are doing to 1) Develop and tune their flow application to get the most performance out of it, and 2) Monitor and understand that performance when deployed in production.

A list of metrics I would be interested in would be something along the lines of:

  • For each producer or producer/consumer:
    • Event count buffer - average, p90 and p100
    • Time to generate new events - average & p90
    • Number of events generated - average
    • Demand count buffer - average, p90 and p100
  • For each consumer or producer/consumer:
    • Event counts processed - average, p90
    • Time to process each event - average & p90
    • Some way to determine distribution of work, not sure about this one, is it all one or two workers doing everything or is it evenly spread?

I understand you could simply put a :timer.tc(fn -> end) around each of the implementations (or something fancier with a macro) but I’m curious more about what are people using and what metrics are they tracking to tune and monitor.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

nicholasjhenry

nicholasjhenry

I would very interested to find out what path you took with this. What performance monitoring did you add? Cheers!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews