kevinschweikert

kevinschweikert

Hey folks,

i am trying to get Membrane and Whisper working together. For now, the goal is, to use Mebrane so stream a file into Whisper. I worked on the following Livebook but cannot figure out, why Whisper is not correctly transcribing.
When i pipe the output of the converter into portaudio it is very noisy. When i set the converter to s16le the PortAudio audio sounds fine! But when i use :f32le and write it to a PCM file and import it into Audacity, it sounds fine again, despite the PortAudio Sink is not.
Either way, Whisper is not translating correctly. Can you help me out, where the issue could be?

Mix.install(
  [
    {:membrane_core, "~> 0.12.7"},
    {:membrane_file_plugin, "~> 0.15.0"},
    {:membrane_mp4_plugin, "~> 0.27.0"},
    {:membrane_fake_plugin, "~> 0.10.0"},
    {:membrane_raw_audio_format, "~> 0.11.0"},
    {:membrane_ffmpeg_swresample_plugin,
     git: "https://github.com/membraneframework/membrane_ffmpeg_swresample_plugin",
     branch: "master"},
    {:membrane_aac_plugin, "~> 0.15.0"},
    {:membrane_aac_fdk_plugin, "~> 0.15.1"},
    {:membrane_portaudio_plugin, "~> 0.16.1"},
    {:kino_bumblebee, "~> 0.3.0"},
    {:exla, "~> 0.5.1"}
  ],
  config: [nx: [default_backend: EXLA.Backend], membrane_core: [logger: [verbose: false]]]
)
#dependecies:
brew install fdk-aac
brew install portaudio
model = "tiny"

{:ok, model_info} = Bumblebee.load_model({:hf, "openai/whisper-#{model}"})
{:ok, featurizer} = Bumblebee.load_featurizer({:hf, "openai/whisper-#{model}"})
{:ok, tokenizer} = Bumblebee.load_tokenizer({:hf, "openai/whisper-#{model}"})
{:ok, generation_config} = Bumblebee.load_generation_config({:hf, "openai/whisper-#{model}"})
generation_config = Bumblebee.configure(generation_config, max_new_tokens: 100)

generation_config = %{
  generation_config
  | forced_token_ids: [
      # tell whisper that spoken text is german
      {1, Bumblebee.Tokenizer.token_to_id(tokenizer, "<|de|>")},
      {2, Bumblebee.Tokenizer.token_to_id(tokenizer, "<|transcribe|>")}
    ]
}

serving =
  Bumblebee.Audio.speech_to_text(model_info, featurizer, tokenizer, generation_config,
    compile: [batch_size: 1],
    defn_options: [compiler: EXLA]
  )
Nx.Serving.start_link(serving: serving, name: WhisperServing)
defmodule WhisperSink do
  use Membrane.Sink
  require Logger
  def_input_pad(:input, demand_unit: :buffers, accepted_format: _any)

  @impl true
  def handle_playing(_ctx, state) do
    {[demand: :input], state}
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_write_list(:input, buffers, _ctx, state) do
    for buffer <- buffers do
      data =
        buffer.payload
        |> Nx.from_binary(:f32)

      Logger.info(inspect(Nx.Serving.batched_run(WhisperServing, data)))
    end

    {[demand: {:input, length(buffers)}], state}
  end
end
defmodule Pipeline do
  use Membrane.Pipeline

  @in_file "/path/to/video.mp4"

  @impl true
  def handle_init(_context, _opts) do
    structure = [
      child(:file_source, %Membrane.File.Source{location: @in_file, seekable?: true})
      |> child(:demuxer, %Membrane.MP4.Demuxer.ISOM{optimize_for_non_fast_start?: true})
      |> via_out(Pad.ref(:output, 2))
      |> child(:depayloader_audio, Membrane.MP4.Depayloader.AAC)
      |> child(:audio_parser, %Membrane.AAC.Parser{
        in_encapsulation: :none,
        out_encapsulation: :ADTS
      })
      |> child(:aac_decoder, Membrane.AAC.FDK.Decoder)
      |> child(:converter, %Membrane.FFmpeg.SWResample.Converter{
        output_stream_format: %Membrane.RawAudio{
          sample_format: :f32le,
          sample_rate: 16_000,
          channels: 1
        }
      })
      # |> child(:speaker, Membrane.PortAudio.Sink),
      |> child(:whisper, WhisperSink),
      get_child(:demuxer)
      |> via_out(Pad.ref(:output, 1))
      |> child(:fake, Membrane.Fake.Sink.Buffers)
    ]

    {[spec: structure, playback: :playing], %{}}
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_element_end_of_stream(:file_sink, _pad, _ctx_, _state) do
    IO.inspect("terminate")
    {[terminate: :normal], nil}
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_element_end_of_stream(_child, _pad, _ctx, _state) do
    {[], nil}
  end

  def handle_child_notification(notification, _element, _context, state) do
    # dbg(notification)
    {[], state}
  end
end
{:ok, _, _} = Pipeline.start_link()

Showing Posts 1 to 4

mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

Hi there, I’ll look into the converter & port audio issue. Regarding speech-to-text, have you tried this example?

kevinschweikert

kevinschweikert OP

Hi @mat-hek,

oh wow, thanks for the LiveBook example! I did not find it. After some trial and error and the membrane_transcription repo from @lawik i found out, that i obviously need to create a buffer, otherwise the length of the Membrane.Buffer.payload is to small for Whisper. The example would have saved me some time :slight_smile:

I currently got this to work with a Whisper Serving startet in the Supervision tree and used manual demand. Otherwise the buffer would be too big for the Whisper model, because it can only handle a maximum chunk of 30s.

defmodule MembraneWhisper.WhisperSink do
  use Membrane.Sink
  alias Membrane.RawAudio
  require Membrane.Logger

  @sample_rate 16_000
  # sample format is `:f32le`, so each format is written on 32 bits = 4 bytes
  @bytes_per_sample 4
  @channels 1
  # seconds
  @chunk_duration 10
  @chunk_size @sample_rate * @bytes_per_sample * @channels * @chunk_duration

  def_input_pad(:input,
    accepted_format: %RawAudio{
      channels: @channels,
      sample_rate: @sample_rate,
      sample_format: :f32le
    },
    flow_control: :manual
  )

  @impl true
  def handle_init(_ctx, _options) do
    state = %{
      samples: <<>>,
      transcribing?: false
    }

    {[], state}
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_playing(_ctx, state) do
    {[demand: :input], state}
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_buffer(:input, %Membrane.Buffer{} = buffer, _context, state) do
    all_samples = state.samples <> buffer.payload

    state =
      if byte_size(all_samples) > @chunk_size and not state.transcribing? do
        transcribe(all_samples)
        %{state | samples: <<>>, transcribing?: true}
      else
        %{state | samples: all_samples}
      end

    if byte_size(all_samples) > @chunk_size do
      {[], state}
    else
      {[demand: :input], state}
    end
  end

  defp transcribe(data) do
    send_to = self()

    Task.start(fn ->
      model_input = Nx.from_binary(data, :f32)
      results = Nx.Serving.batched_run(MembraneWhisper.WhisperServing, model_input)
      transcription = Enum.map_join(results.results, " ", & &1.text)
      send(send_to, {:transcribed, transcription})
    end)
  end

  def handle_info({:transcribed, transcription}, _ctx, state) do
    IO.inspect(transcription)
    state = %{state | transcribing?: false}
    {[demand: :input], state}
  end

  def handle_info(other_msg, _, state) do
    Membrane.Logger.debug("Unknown message received: #{inspect(other_msg)}")
    {[], state}
  end
end

Again, thank you for your help!

mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

Yeah, we’ll make those livebooks more discoverable. If the payload is too small/big, you can just concat/split it in the WhisperSink as well :wink: However, to use automatic demands, you’d also have to move the logic from the task to the element or await on the task - otherwise, you can be flooded with data :ocean:

BTW, you can use functions from Membrane.RawAudio — Membrane: raw audio format v0.12.3 instead of hardcoding sample rate & friends. Happy hacking :wink:

mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews