patric-vinicios

patric-vinicios

I have a question about memory consumption when receiving a frontend request, for example.

In this first example, let’s suppose that the user created an order

"order": {
  "order_code": "123",
  "items": [
    {
      name: "item name 1",
      quantity: 1,
      price: 100.0
    },
    {
      name: "item name 2",
      quantity: 2,
      price: 100.0
    },
    {
      name: "item name 3",
      quantity: 3,
      price: 100.0
    }
  ]
}

And each item should have the same “order_code” too, for some logic business.
In the backend, we should map each item and copy the order_code inside it.

In this second example, the frontend is responsible for sending the order_code for each item and the backend should validate if the order_code in each item is equal to the order’s order_code.
(The customer don’t need to see this field as long as the frontend send as a “hidden” input, for example)

"order": {
  "order_code": "123",
  "items": [
    {
      name: "item name 1",
      quantity: 1,
      price: 100.0,
      order_code: "123"
    },
    {
      name: "item name 2",
      quantity: 2,
      price: 100.0,
      order_code: "123"
    },
    {
      name: "item name 3",
      quantity: 3,
      price: 100.0,
      order_code: "123"
    }
  ]
}

Creating some test using Grafana and Prometheus, I had some results where the request duration in milliseconds was higher in the first example than the second.

But, using erlang.memory(:total) the second example was consuming more memory than the first example for some reason.

I thought that in the first example the memory consumption would be greater, as another data is created in memory for the new items with order_code.

How does memory consumption work in this case?
Is it advisable to do this type of mapping in Backend or should we just validate the data?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

The difference here is so small that testing methodology is going to matter a lot unless you’re taking about a very large number of records per request. Total memory in particular is going to be a very noisy way of measuring the impact of your JSON serialization.

Can you say more about your use case and benchmarking approach? Have you tried micro benchmarking with benchee for a more focused comparison?

patric-vinicios

patric-vinicios OP

My use case is something like this example. But, the real case is, I receive a bill and this bill has your own fields and some fields to be copied inside the installments.

bill: %{
    fields,
    installments: [%{amount: 100}, %{amount: 100}, %{amount: 1000}]
}

From Bill I have to copy 5 fields to inside each installment object and another 12 fields I should copy if the installment object does not has these fields filled.

I could receive 20 installments, or maybe 50… and this proccess could take a long request time.
I would have to map each installment, copy the fields and verify if I should copy some fields from bill or not.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

It really shouldn’t. At the “dozens scale these operations should take microseconds not milliseconds and be nearly impossible to measure. Can you show a reproducible example of what you’re talking about?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews