dfens
Currently I have phoenix app which also schedules quantum jobs (GitHub - quantum-elixir/quantum-core: ⌚ Cron-like job scheduler for Elixir · GitHub) with overlap: false mode
Jobs are importing & exporting relatively large json files.
Now my problem is
Leaking memory
This is current status and it will get worse since different/bigger data sets are going to be processed.
For example on start on the left app starts with ~60MB
Flat line in the end is after quantum job was processed
I did check also this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43613027/solving-large-binaries-leak but forced gc / tuning ERL_FULLSWEEP_AFTER collect did not seem to help
If I run ImportTask/ExportTask on my local machine but not as quantum and observe memory - then I cannot reproduce this behaviour
Any tips welcome ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex












Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Have you tried
strings: :copy(assuming you useJason)?benwilson512
Have you tried calling
:erlang.garbage_collect()at the end of whatever function you’re having Quantum run?dfens
@NobbZ jackpot!
as the matter of fact I was using
Jaxonfor parsing since files were pretty big before. but just tested with Jasonstrings: :copyand issue does not occur anymore. I suspect this was misuse ofJaxon.streamon my side but I am completely satisfied with Jason results@benwilson512 yes I did try, without any effect
Thank you so much for your input guys
NobbZ
From a quick glance it seems as if
jaxonwasn’t copying and also did not provide an option to copy binaries.You might still be able to use
jaxonwhen you:binary.copy/1strings it gives you manually.dfens
Basically I have let’s say 100MB file
What I was doing was like:
now when process did finish there was like XXXMB leftover per each iteration. Anyway what I am searching for is kind of stream parser and it seems that code below is misuse because memory spikes immediately to ~1.5GB and drops sequentialy with each chunk (not as stated with jaxon)
NobbZ
That is probably because of
Enum.map, depending on what it does exactly, it will force the full stream.Also if you keep references to binaries in that
Enum.mapinstead of using:binary.copy/1as suggested, you might keep all the lines in memory until the sub references get collected.But overall, this is hard to say without knowing how you process the chunks…
dfens
I suspected enum map but it does only this:
Insert chunk into postgres (let’s say ~1000 items with subresources)
returns struct %ChunkRepory{success: 700, failed: 300}
map is aggregated later to sum of those maps,