benonymus

benonymus

Hey I have a list of maps, and those maps are items such:

[
%purchase{
    amount: #Decimal<2.0>,
    command: "buy",
    id: 71,
    price: #Decimal<90.394>,
  },
%purchase{
    amount: #Decimal<1.0>,
    command: "buy",
    id: 72,
    price: #Decimal<90.394>,
  }
]

As you can see the prices are the same but the amount isn’t how would you go through the list to merge the items with the same price to get something like this:

[
%purchase{
    amount: #Decimal<3.0>,
    command: "buy",
    price: #Decimal<90.394>,
  }
]

Showing Posts 1 to 5

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey @benonymus what have you tried so far? If you need help getting started, check out the functions in Enum — Elixir v1.20.2 and see if there’s something that might like you group_by the items with the same price, after which you could go through each price group and reduce them into a single purchase.

benonymus

benonymus OP

Hey, I came up with 2 solutions so far:

for order <- buy do
      Enum.reduce(
        buy,
        order,
        fn x, y ->
          cond do
            Decimal.cmp(x.price, y.price) == :eq and x.id != y.id ->
              new_amount = Decimal.add(x.amount, y.amount)
              Map.put(y, :amount, new_amount)

            true ->
              y
          end
        end
      )
    end
    |> Enum.uniq_by(fn x -> x.price end)

and

    for order <- buy do
      Enum.map(buy, fn x ->
        cond do
          Decimal.cmp(x.price, order.price) == :eq and x.id != order.id ->
            new_amount = Decimal.add(x.amount, order.amount)
            Map.put(order, :amount, new_amount)

          true ->
            order
        end
      end)
    end
    |> List.flatten()
    |> Enum.uniq_by(fn x -> x.price end)

But I am having a hard time deciding which one to stick with :confounded:
Edit:
I decided to stick with the reduce version, so I don’t need to flatten a list

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Needlessly verbose IMO. Here’s how I went about it:

defmodule Stock do
  def aggregate_by_price(items) do
    items
    |> Enum.group_by(&(Decimal.reduce(&1.price)))
    |> Enum.map(fn({_price, items}) ->
      Enum.reduce(items, fn(acc, item) ->
        %{acc | amount: Decimal.add(acc.amount, item.amount)}
      end)
    end)
  end
end

Then in iex:

items = [
  %{price: Decimal.from_float(90.394), amount: Decimal.from_float(2.0)},
  %{price: Decimal.from_float(90.394), amount: Decimal.from_float(1.0)},
  %{price: Decimal.from_float(17.64738), amount: Decimal.from_float(10.0)},
  %{price: Decimal.from_float(90.394), amount: Decimal.from_float(5.0)},
  %{price: Decimal.from_float(17.64738), amount: Decimal.from_float(13.0)}
]

Stock.aggregate_by_price(items)

This returns:

[
  %{amount: #Decimal<8.0>, price: #Decimal<90.394>},
  %{amount: #Decimal<23.0>, price: #Decimal<17.64738>}
]

Which seems to be what you need.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

We can golf this slightly smaller by using Enum.reduce/2 which does the hd/tl thing for you:

      Enum.reduce(items, fn(acc, item) ->
        %{acc | amount: Decimal.add(acc.amount, item.amount)}
      end)

The only real concern with this approach I’m realizing is that it compares price based on term equality not Decimal.cmp. That may require manual grouping, but that shouldn’t be too bad.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Heh, always thought Enum.reduce/2 repeats the first element when iterating. Thanks for ridding me of that dumb illusion!

Oops, I actually thought of addressing this but forgot. We can get away with it by using Decimal.reduce/1 because sometimes even identical float values – but represented differently when passed to Decimal.from_float – yield false when compared with == (which I agree should not be done).

Edited above to reflect your remarks.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews