elixirnewbie

elixirnewbie

How can I get the message queue length of a GenServer? I have tried

def handle_call({:add,number},_from, state) do
  
  {_,num}=Process.info(self(), :message_queue_len)
 IO.inspect num
  {:reply,reply state}
end

but getting 0.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

How are you sending messages to that process?

I notice that you’re doing this in a handle_call which is synchronous. So, if you only have one process doing a GenServer.call to this process it’ll block until it gets a response. That means, you’ll never have a queue length, because this handle_call is consuming the only message that has been sent.

In short, what you’re doing is correct, but the way you’re testing it isn’t.

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

Try something like this to test:

1..100
|> Task.async_stream(fn _ -> 
  # Thing that calls your process
end)
|> Stream.run()
elixirnewbie

elixirnewbie OP

Thanks @blatyo

KronicDeth

KronicDeth

If you want to observe the size and not assert on it, :observer is specifically for this. :observer.start() will open the Observer WX GUI, go to the processes tab and you can sort on the MsgQ column. Right-clicking will allow you to get a dump of the current messages, but the Processes tab will refresh itself every so often, so you can use it to monitor for message queues growing, which usually means you have a bug with an unmatched message. I have found at least 3 bugs in production using only the MsgQ column and clicking to sort it. It is super useful.

elixirnewbie

elixirnewbie OP

@KronicDeth thanks…but I want the GenServer to take actions based on the queue length.Imagine 3 GenServers spun up by a DynamicSupervisor and they are all sending messages to each other but they don’t accept new messages if the message count is over 50 in their respective queues and send a reply back to the caller ..something like {:error, :queue_full}

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

Sounds like you want to control the ingestion of data in your system. If that’s the case, rather than fiddling with the queue length, I’d suggest taking a look at GenStage.

peerreynders

peerreynders

That is irrelevant given that the process can only control removal of messages from the mailbox and nothing else - i.e. a process can’t stop accepting messages; it can only stop accepting work which would be tracked inside the process state.

something like {:error, :queue_full}

a response like that happens when a received message is requesting more work but your work backlog indicates that you already have enough - i.e. the response should have nothing to do with messages remaining in the process mailbox but everything with information you currently have in the process state.

elixirnewbie

elixirnewbie OP

Thanks @stefanchrobot @peerreynders
@peerreynders basically I want to know the total remaining messages in the mailbox that haven’t been processed

dom

dom

A better way is to use ETS to track the queue length, then you can tell that the queue is full before messaging the process. See “Bounded Queues” under Handling Overload

Edit: just realized you might be beginning with Elixir, so this is probably overkill. What kind of work do your processes do? There’s likely a way to rearrange the problem so you don’t need bounded queues. For instance, using a process per message / task and limiting concurrency via DynamicSupervisor’s max children instead.

peerreynders

peerreynders

You already know the answer - you just aren’t creating the right conditions to see the effects.

defmodule Demo do

  defp do_it(state) do
    {_, num} = Process.info(self(), :message_queue_len)
    IO.puts "queue length: #{inspect num}"

    reply = {:reply, :hello, state}
    cond do
      num > 0 ->
        reply
      true ->
        send(self(), :done)
        reply
    end
  end

  def init(_args) do
    send(self(), :block) # get the first message in the mailbox
    {:ok, []}
  end

  def handle_call(:hi, _from, state),
    do: do_it(state)

  def handle_info(:block, state) do
    Process.sleep(1000) # block for one second
    {:noreply, state}
  end
  def handle_info(:done, state) do
    {:stop, :normal, state}
  end

  def terminate(reason, state) do
    IO.puts "terminate: #{inspect reason} #{inspect state}"
  end

end

{:ok, pid} = GenServer.start_link(Demo,[])
f = fn ->
  GenServer.call(pid, :hi)
  :ok
end

(for _ <- 1..4, do: Task.async(f))
|> Enum.map(&Task.await(&1))
$ elixir demo.exs
queue length: 3
queue length: 2
queue length: 1
queue length: 0
terminate: :normal []
$

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews