Sanjibukai
Hello everybody,
I tend to see Message Queues (like RabbitMQ) being relevant when we want to make communicate different apps through events (the apps might be running on different servers or as microservices or even on client apps).
However (and hopefully) with Elixir apps I tend to have one single “app” (maybe umbrella apps) and in this case the Message Queue system might be more of what we are calling an Event Bus..
So I wanted to know if it still makes sense to use a Message Queues (like RabbitMQ) in this context?
Or does it better to use some kind of Elixir baked solutions (GenServers, Phoenix PubSub, some external library like event_bus)?
I would love to hear if you are using Event Bus and if so what you are using?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
stefanchrobot
If you decide to hide it behind some kind of interface (e.g.
MyApp.EventBus) you can pick whatever tool works for you. Then I think it boils down to whether you need persistent events and the expectations towards latency between sending and receiving the event.dimitarvp
Umbrellas don’t prevent you from sending messages to other processes without using any external message queue software.
As @stefanchrobot said, it depends if you want persistence. If you don’t, plain old
GenServers will serve you more than adequately enough.randito
I think if you’re crossing lines – where a line might be a different language, a different node, a different speed of execution – then something like RabbitMQ might be a better choice. It’s got clients in lots of different languages.