Hiive - Remote/Hybrid Canada, Vancouver | Mid/Senior Elixir, React Engineer | Full-Time
My name: Vitor Oliveira
My position: Vice President, Engineering
Company name: Hiive
Company website: https://www.hiivemarkets.com/
Company headquarters (country): Canada
Hiive is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join the product team to work on a platform utilizing an Elixir Phoenix GraphQL backend API and React.js/Typescript on the frontend. Hiive is a fintech startup, backed by seasoned professionals with decades of experience in private equity and capital markets. The company is building a revolutionary product for buyers and sellers of shares in private pre-IPO companies and “Unicorns,” bringing a rational, beautiful and modern technological interface to a messy and traditional market. As a Software Engineer at Hiive, you will report to the Vice President, Engineering, and work directly with the executive and founding team to deliver core features of our application, create a robust, scalable, and secure infrastructure, and continue to build out the market for the product
About the job
Job title: Mid/Senior Elixir, React Engineer
A great candidate would…
- Consider themselves highly capable of hands-on development of API and asynchronous functionality for processing data and workflows in a complex system.
- Consider themselves highly capable of hands-on development of a mobile responsive user interface with React and Typescript from day one.
- Know the ins and outs of data modeling and software architecture for developing performant and maintainable code.
- Have experience with integrating with third-party services through APIs and webhooks alongside local data processing.
- Be well versed in all aspects of secure API development.
- Be well versed in all aspects of frontend development including styling, performance, responsiveness, and in creating reusable components.
- Be comfortable working with a very small team including directly with the founders on building a product and a company.
- Adapt well to a quickly moving environment.
- 5+ years of experience in developing backend services with APIs and relational databases.
- Experience with the Elixir programming or similar experience and a desire to learn Elixir.
- Able to work in a team environment with a CI/CD driven workflow.
- Have a philosophy in writing automated backend tests.
- 3+ years of experience in building interfaces with React or similar technology.
- Previous experience of working in Typescript.
- Experience with component libraries (such as Chakra UI).
- Translating from Figma or similar, design files into implementation details.
- Working closely with designers on feedback for designs and implementation tweaks.
- Experience in making GraphQL APIs and Apollo Client.
- Understanding of Postgres databases design and optimization.
- Knowledge of Elixir, Phoenix, and Absinthe.
- DevOps know-how, specifically deploying and configuring AWS services.
- Data reporting with SQL and dbt.
- Experience with Vercel & Next.js.
- Using Terraform for deterministic infrastructure definitions.
- Fintech and/or marketplace experience.
Compensation & Perks:
- Competitive salary: CAD100k-CAD170k/year, commensurate with experience and contribution.
- Health & dental benefits, and a health spending account.
- Option to work remotely or in our office in the Mt. Pleasant neighborhood of Vancouver, BC with a first-class view of the mountains.
- Opportunity to participate in the ownership of a seed-stage startup through our employee stock option plan.
About the interview process
- Phone Screen: your past experiences, goals, passions, and ambition for career and life.
- Technical Assignment: systems design interview and possibly pair programming.
- CEO Interview: last round with general questions about you.