francesco.pessina

francesco.pessina

Hello everyone,
I beginned recently to study and work in elixir, and I’m very curious about OTP, scalability and performances.
I’m writing this message to ask you if what I’m thinking makes sense or I am missing something.

By now I’m maintaining a platform made up of 6 microservices, all in Java (Quarkus/Spring), which intercommunicate with Kafka (both for data and events).
Every microservice has its own database; the platform asks data to an external APIs (through 3 “connectors” microservices) and write them into Kafka. Then another microservice reads this data and stores them into a database (with some logic), and exposes them through different queries.
Finally there is another service which acts as authentication server and gateway (with authorization).
All run in a Kubernetes cluster.

What I am thinking is: can I replace all this with a Phoenix application, where every microservice could be a separated app (maybe all under the same umbrella)?

These are possible pros:

  • One database for all (is this an anti-pattern?)
  • Get rid of Kafka (and Avro)
  • Simpler maintenance
  • Easy support to GraphQL (if I choose to make the switch, now it’s all rest)
  • Elixir

Possible cons:

  • Losing of scalability opportunities (with Kafka I can scale services as many as I need: how can I replace this with Phoenix? Do I need this?)
  • Minor decoupling of the system (I cannot “plug” an eventual microservice developed in another language)

Making the question in another way, Elixir applications and OTP could replace a platform made up of some microservices (all developed in the same programming language) which communicate with a message bus?

Thank you for any eventual response :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 1

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Yes, this is possible. And maybe even more importantly, it might be possible to perform this change incrementally (switching over microservices one by one).

Depending on your needs you might be able to either augment or fully replace Kafka with Broadway.

It is very straightforward to create multiple releases from the same umbrella project, containing a different set of OTP-applications, and connect these together in a ‘distributed Erlang’ cluster. This will allow you to scale different parts of your platform independently (e.g. scaling the amount of webserver nodes independently from the amount of data ingestion nodes etc.), while not having to think hard about how these microservices need to communicate, as transparent everyday message-passing can be used. (Usually e.g. Phoenix.PubSub is used in these kinds of situations which allows for even further decoupling between services.)

Obviously this last part is only possible once everything has been moved over to Elixir. However, when rewriting incrementally you will still be able to remove more and more ‘manual communication’ code as time goes on.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews