murphy
Hey,
Does anyone know if there is an Elixir module, which detects the correct mime type for uploaded files?
I have some issus in my Phoenix project, for example Firefox sets the mime type for pdf files to
“application/download” instead of “application/pdf”.
So I’m looking for a module or help writing a module which can detect this from [file signatures]
(Redirect to SEARCH...).
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks
Andy
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
If you are on a linux host you can probably use
file(with--mime-typeoption) ormimetype.If there is a package available on hex, I’d guess it does wrap one of these.
murphy
that looks good. thanks!
AstonJ
Is Dyanmo’s mime library what you’re looking for?
NobbZ
As I understand @murphy he wants to check the magic number of the file, instead of relying on the file extension (which can be as wrong as anything a browser thinks to set as MIME-type).
Also, because of this thread, I hacked a wrapper which is available as
file_infofrom hex.pm. It is very basic right now, but I do plan to make it better.AstonJ
Ah right, sorry, I didn’t look into the library and wasn’t aware it was relying on file extensions.
Good on you for working on a wrapper
findlaech
Something interesting would be to extract the header of the file and pattern-match it against a pre-defined map of type ↔ headers.
If someone wants to play with bitstrings…
NobbZ
As you can see in issue #4, I do plan in the long term, that I want to remove the necessy of
findbeeing available and to the tests directly on Elixir side, but I really think it will tike quite a while, since there are many MIME-types with many magic numbers.At first I’d need some reliable source of such magic numbers and their mapping to MIME-types.
AstonJ
Is this any good?
murphy
yes i was thinking, that maybe someone has already done this.
But i´m working on linux anyway, so many thanks to @NobbZ for the wrapper.
NobbZ
I will take a closer look later this month if this can help.
I have thought about this, but I don’t think that a sequential pattern match is fast enough. Since these magic numbers are of different length and you only now the length after you had a successfull match, I think some kind of Trie