fidr

fidr

Minex (Docs)

Minex allows you to create your own re-usable deployment tasks to setup deployment to your own needs. I created it to replace bash script with something more configurable/re-usable. It contains helpers to run commands locally and remotely (on the target specified by :host). It doesn’t contain specific deployment strategies, except for the example deploy tasks.

It’s possible to generate a bash script for enabled tasks (by passing a [generate_script: true] as options or using generate_script_task(...). This is useful for when you need a full shell/tty. For example when starting a remote console session)

Example deploy file:

use Minex

set(:name, "my_app")
set(:deploy_to, "/apps/#{get(:name)}")
set(:host, "deploy@1.2.3.4")

Code.require_file("deploy/tasks.exs", Path.dirname(__ENV__.file))

# expects a config/deploy/Dockerfile
public_task(:build, fn ->
  command("docker container rm dummy", allow_fail: true)
  command("docker build -f config/deploy/Dockerfile  -t #{get(:name)} .")
  command("docker create -ti --name dummy #{get(:name)}:latest bash")
  command("docker cp dummy:/release.tar.gz release.tar.gz")
end)

public_task(:deploy, fn ->
  run(:build)
  run(:upload, ["release.tar.gz", "#{get(:deploy_to)}/release.tar.gz"])
  run(:remote, fn ->
    command("cd #{get(:deploy_to)}")
    command("( [ -d \"bin\" ] && ./bin/#{get(:name)} stop || true )")
    command("tar -zxf release.tar.gz -C .")
    command("./bin/#{get(:name)} daemon")
  end)
end)

Minex.run(System.argv())

Let me know your thoughts!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

hauleth

hauleth

I would use similar approach to the ExUnit for Minex.run(). So you would do System.at_exit(fn -> Minex.run(System.argv()) end) in Minex.__using__/1 so the user would not need to remember to run it on their own (probably add a flag that would allow disabling such behaviour).

Another question is - why not make it Mix task?

fidr

fidr OP

Thanks for the suggestions!

I’ve considered the at_exit but this seems more flexible. You can for example extract a target (staging/production) out of System.argv() and pass the rest to Minex.run.

I did create a mix task to help run tasks: mix minex task_name. Is that what you mean?

ityonemo

ityonemo

I have something similar that I use internally (it’s like an elixir-ish ansible): it’s like ansible and minex in that it can either issue locally via cmd or via ssh. I’ve been thinking about open sourcing it, but am slightly afraid in that people might make fun of me for reimplementing ansible (with less yaml, things are more obviously functions, you can IO.inspect everywhere, etc etc etc). Is that something y’all might use if I open sourced it or if we joined forces?

also generate_script: true is really fantastic.

strzibny

strzibny

I would personally be curious about it!

wolf4earth

wolf4earth

Why not both? By default you could do the at_exit (so people do not have to remember), and provide an option for the use which switches that off, when the user desires to do so.

Less footguns, you know?

hauleth

hauleth

My proposal is like @wolf4earth said, you have:

defmodule Minex do
  defmacro __using__(opts) do
    autorun = Keyword.get(opts, :autorun, true)

    quote do
      if unquote(autorun), do: System.at_exit(fn -> unquote(__MODULE__).run(System.argv())) end)
    end
  end
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews