the-mikedavis
Mint.WebSocket (github) (hex) is a library built on the awesome Mint (github) (hex) functional HTTP client.
Mint.WebSocket extends Mint’s process-less architecture with a handful of functions for upgrading connections to the WebSocket protocol and encoding and decoding WebSocket frames. For example, we can send and receive some frames from an echo WebSocket server:
# see https://websocket.org/echo.html
{:ok, conn} = Mint.HTTP.connect(:https, "echo.websocket.org", 443)
{:ok, conn, ref} = Mint.WebSocket.upgrade(conn, "/", [])
message = receive(do: (message -> message))
{:ok, conn, [{:status, ^ref, status}, {:headers, ^ref, resp_headers}, {:done, ^ref}]} =
Mint.HTTP.stream(conn, message)
{:ok, conn, websocket} = Mint.WebSocket.new(conn, ref, status, resp_headers)
{:ok, websocket, data} =
Mint.WebSocket.encode(websocket, {:text, "Rock it with Mint.WebSocket"})
{:ok, conn} = Mint.HTTP.stream_request_body(conn, ref, data)
message = receive(do: (message -> message))
{:ok, conn, [{:data, ^ref, data}]} = Mint.HTTP.stream(conn, message)
{:ok, websocket, [{:text, "Rock it with Mint.WebSocket"}]} =
Mint.WebSocket.decode(websocket, data)
{:ok, websocket, data} = Mint.WebSocket.encode(websocket, :close)
{:ok, conn} = Mint.HTTP.stream_request_body(conn, ref, data)
message = receive(do: (message -> message))
{:ok, conn, [{:data, ^ref, data}]} = Mint.HTTP.stream(conn, message)
{:ok, websocket, [{:close, 1_000, ""}]} =
Mint.WebSocket.decode(websocket, data)
Mint.HTTP.close(conn)
Features:
- HTTP/1 and HTTP/2 support through the same API
- although HTTP/2 WebSocket support is currently very limited among server frameworks
- support for Extensions
- the popular “permessage-deflate” extension is included in the library
- conformance checks with the Autobahn|Testsuite are built in to the CI
- performance is roughly on par with
:gun(Autobahn|Testsuite comparison)
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
the-mikedavis
v1.0.0 was just released!
Since the last update, the API has been refactored to depend cleanly on Mint so that Mint.WebSocket should be future-proof for new Mint releases. We’ve also been using Mint.WebSocket extensively in production over the last (almost) year. And when I say extensively, I mean extensively: my metrics say that in the last week we made nearly one million connections with Mint.WebSocket!
stevensonmt
This looks cool. Pros/Cons vs Phoenix?
the-mikedavis
Mint.WebSocket is a WebSocket client so you could use it to, for example, connect to a cowboy server or a
Phoenix.Channel(Slipstream actually uses Mint.WebSocket under the hood). In fact, Phoenix itself recently switched to using Mint.WebSocket to testPhoenix.Channels (see here).ycastor
Ohhhhhh nice! I’m using Mint and i’ll need that for WebSocket communications for my database driver, nice work!
thojanssens1
Thank you!
We also have finch built on top of mint
and req built on top of finch
How would one use WebSockets when depending on any of those two other libs?
the-mikedavis
Finch and Req only do HTTP for now and I’m not sure if it’s in scope for those projects to add WebSocket support. Since the dependencies are compatible, you could use Mint.WebSocket in any project that already has Mint by adding it to your dependencies:
and then using Mint.WebSocket directly. There’s an example WebSocket client implementation as a GenServer you can use for reference here. A high-level WebSocket client that wraps Mint.WebSocket like Finch wraps Mint would be pretty cool some day
thojanssens1
What would also be nice is to have a similar lib for SSE Server Sent Events. Which seem to be the future with http2 support.
bfolkens
We started using this in production last month and it’s significantly faster than WebSockex. I’ll try to run some more formal perf tests when I get a chance.
bfolkens
Extracted the basics today, it’s up now at https://hex.pm/packages/wind. Any feedback welcome, of course. Will add more soon.
bunopnu
I am currently working on a WebSocket client which is similar to WebSockex but built atop Mint ecosystem: GitHub - bunopnu/fresh: WebSocket client for Elixir, built atop the Mint ecosystem · GitHub
Waiting for feedbacks…