landric
I’m running into a strange issue with an edeliver (1.8.0) / Distillery (2.1.1) / Phoenix (1.5.3) application where after running
mix edeliver build release
mix edeliver deploy release to production
mix edeliver restart production
… to my remote server, my app reverts to running and serving an older version of my app.
This most obviously manifests itself by serving old static assets. But also appears not just to be a static asset issue. Running code from the console also has old behavior.
Note that running mix edeliver upgrade production does not exhibit the same behavior, and correctly upgrades to the new version.
I would love some help figuring out where to look next! Thanks y’all.
$ mix edeliver version production
EDELIVER MY_APP WITH VERSION COMMAND
-----> getting release versions from production servers
production node: 0
user : my_remote_username
host : my.server.ip.address
path : /home/my_remote_username/app_release
response: '1.0.3+882-20200819-020104-prod' [...this is the expected current version...]
[...two other nodes report same version...]
VERSION DONE!
$ mix edeliver build release
BUILDING RELEASE OF MY_APP APP ON BUILD HOST
-----> Authorizing hosts
[...]
-----> Copying release 1.0.3+882-20200819-021103-prod to remote release store
[... still 1.0.3 but new timestamp...]
RELEASE BUILD OF [ MYAPP ] WAS SUCCESSFUL!
$ mix edeliver deploy release to production
DEPLOYING RELEASE OF MY_APP APP TO PRODUCTION HOSTS
-----> Authorizing hosts
[...]
-----> Selecting release
Found 32 different versions to deploy.
Versions:
[...old versions...]
1.0.0+862-20200818-040404-prod [... this version is noteworthy... spoiler alert...]
[...more intermediary versions...]
1.0.3+882-20200819-021103-prod
Enter Version:
$ 1.0.3+882-20200819-021103-prod
DEPLOYED RELEASE TO PRODUCTION!
$ mix edeliver restart production
EDELIVER [MY_APP] WITH RESTART COMMAND
-----> restarting production servers
[... all three nodes report restart...]
RESTART DONE!
$ mix edeliver version production
EDELIVER MY_APP WITH VERSION COMMAND
-----> getting release versions from production servers
production node: 2
user : my_remote_username
host : 142.93.187.55
path : /home/my_remote_username/app_release
response: '1.0.3+882-20200819-021103-prod'
[... two other nodes report same version...]
VERSION DONE!
$ ssh -t my_remote_username@my.remote.ip.addres " ~/app_release/my_app/bin/my_app remote_console"
Erlang/OTP 23 [erts-11.0.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [ds:2:2:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]
Interactive Elixir (1.10.3) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(my_app@my.remote.ip.address)1> Application.spec(:my_app, :vsn)
'1.0.0+862-20200818-040404-prod'
[... what? Why this old version?]
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mcostasilva
I’ve had that issue for a while now,
var/start_erl.data(in deployment directory) has the wrong version for some reason which causes restarts and cold starts to use the wrong application version.More informations here:
https://github.com/edeliver/edeliver/issues/314
Removing
var/start_erl.databefore restarting has been working for me, until it’s properly fixed in distillery.