udoschneider
Before I start debugging, I have a quick question: Is the current RPi3 system (v1.28.1) supposed to display a console on the RPi 7" Touchscreen? Raspbian uses the screen without any problem, so the screen is fine.
I flashed a new barebones Nerves (v1.10) app, but the screen remains black. It seems like not even the backlight turns on. However, the screen itself is detected by Linux. I can even set the brightness in /sys/ without any effect, though.
Do you have any pointers on how to address this issue?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
udoschneider
I’m giving up for now. I tried a whole lot of different config.txt/cmdline.txt settings without any success. The only thing remaining might be the Linux kernel version, which might explain why it did work out of the box previously (2 years ago). I’m not going down this route for now, however.
lawik
I haven’t tried the official 7" in ages.
I hope @fhunleth can weigh in with what the default expectation should be.
I believe you would usually get iex or something when you plug in HDMI.
udoschneider
I am trying HDMI next.
The strange thing is that according to
dmesg, the display itself, framebuffer (at the correct size), and even touchscreen are detected … it’s just black (regardless of thebrightnessandbl_powersettings).LostKobrakai
Connecting to a Nerves Target — nerves v1.14.3 these should be the relevant docs around configuring where the iex terminal will be accessible at.
jjcarstens
@udoschneider have you tried any 1.27.x or 1.26.x rpi3 system versions? Helping narrow down where the behavior change is could be helpful if able. It will be a bit before I’m around a 7” screen again to play around with this, but I believe the default was to show the console
udoschneider
That was it! Thank you very much!!
Forcing nerves to use a 1.27.1 system shows the console on the touchscreen as expected. I noticed though, that this also requires a downgrade to OTP26 (26.2.5.3 in my case).
I’m not sure if it’s the system update or the OTP update. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, the systems are bound to the OTP version. So, simply changing one without changing the other (which might make deciding which is the “culprit” easier) is not possible.
udoschneider
1.28.0 fails as well. Backtracking commits from 1.28.0 to 1.27.1 now. My money is on “Update to Linux 6.6, DRM, and libcamera” …
udoschneider
Got it!
The display stops working between commits
1712c7c6ea4ed0ece8a560a6daf7087d5b86f70c "Only trim serial number for hostname"ande0c89818e4192b469a502ee7e9cb480756ffef16 "Update to Linux 6.6, DRM, and libcamera".The most obvious culprit is a linux defconfig change with the working commit having
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=yset and the later commit having this option removed.I’ll build a new custom system based on 1.8.1 with this option set tomorrow to verify.
I’m still wondering, though, if this change was intentional. From my understanding, this should also apply to HDMI output.
udoschneider
It sounded too good to be true. This option is set by default in the new kernel, so I’m out of ideas now about a possible root cause.
fhunleth
It’s the Linux kernel update. From the [nerves_system_rpi3/CHANGELOG.md at main · nerves-project/nerves_system_rpi3 · GitHub]:
In theory, you could backport the OTP 27 update to the
nerves_system_rpi3v1.27.1. It’s not that complicated, but not worth the time.Could you create an issue to track the console for the touchscreen?
I took a quick look. I only use the RPi3 headless, but if I were to take a first guess, I’d modify the
config.txt(just manually do it by mounting the boot partition of the MicroSD card on your build machine) and add this:and also copy vc4-kms-dsi-7inch.dtbo into the overlays directory. It’s probably going to take a couple iterations and starting a GitHub issue seems like a better place to iterate. If that doesn’t work, try copying all of the dtbo files into the overlays directory. If that doesn’t work, then I’d run Raspberry Pi OS and run
lsmodto see what kernel drivers are loaded and then runlsmodon Nerves and compare. It won’t be the same, but I’d expect a difference invc4drivers.Sorry to give so many instructions. I think a lot of the Nerves core team is traveling or prepping for travel right now with out Raspberry Pi 3’s on hand. It definitely looks like something was missed on the big MMAL->DRM update for RPi3, though.