ddombrow
Missing something when going through the Little Elixir book. Made my own function to grab a csv and make weather requests.
The result is the result of the first operation (a correct temperature response from a service, followed by the cities list. I expected a list of outputs only. Any pointers?
def get_cities_weather(csv_path) do
alias NimbleCSV.RFC4180, as: CSV
cities = csv_path
|> File.stream!
|> CSV.parse_stream
|> Stream.map(fn [city, city_ascii, lat, lng, pop, country, iso2, iso3, province] ->
%{name: city_ascii, lat: lat, lng: lng}
end)
cities
|> Enum.map_every(500, fn city ->
Metex.Worker.temperature_of(city)
end)
end
Produces:
[{:ok, 40.8}, %{lat: "34.5167011", lng: "65.25000063", name: "Chaghcharan"},
%{lat: "31.58299802", lng: "64.35999955", name: "Lashkar Gah"},
%{lat: "31.11200108", lng: "61.88699752", name: "Zaranj"},
%{lat: "32.63329815", lng: "65.86669865", name: "Tarin Kowt"},
%{lat: "32.85000016", lng: "68.41670453", name: "Zareh Sharan"}...]
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
So you have to wait another 495 elements after the ellipsis, before you will get a processed item again.
Perhaps you want plain old
Enum.map/2orStream.map/2instead?PatNowak
I don’t know what exactly you want to achieve, but there’s
Enum.intoif you want to convert these maps into lists and - most of all - there’sEnum.to_listfor converting stream into list.ddombrow
OH! It’s just returning the original input if it skips it… I was not thinking of that. In my head it was going to even return every 500th item… Thanks for pointing it out.
NobbZ
If you want that behaviour, you probably want
Enum.take_every/2orStream.take_every/2.It could look like this then:
ddombrow
take_every was what I wanted, thanks!
Question. If I did Stream.take_every it’s lazier right? It won’t actually do anything until I Enum.map in the next step?
NobbZ
Yupp. A stream does nothing until you either
Stream.run/1it or use it as anEnumerable.benwilson512
Minor nitpick: Enumerables are neither lazy nor eager. Stream deals with Enumerables lazily, and Enum deals with them eagerly.
So a stream does nothing until it is consumed. It can be consumed by
Stream.runor any of the Enum functions that eagerly consume their inputs.NobbZ
But an important one! I thought if enumerable is the right word here quite a moment. Names are hard especially if you have to deal an remember the relations between similar names.