rodloboz

rodloboz

Hey everyone! :wave:

I’d like to share Mistral, an Elixir client for the Mistral AI API. The library has been on Hex for a while, but I haven’t posted about it here until now — and we just shipped v0.5.0 with a big batch of new features, so it felt like a good time.

With this release, Mistral covers almost all of the Mistral AI platform endpoints, making it the most complete Mistral client available for Elixir.

What it does

Mistral provides a simple, idiomatic Elixir interface to the Mistral AI platform:

client = Mistral.init("your_api_key")

{:ok, response} = Mistral.chat(client,
model: "mistral-small-latest",
messages: [
%{role: "user", content: "Write a haiku about Elixir"}
]
)

Features

  • Chat Completions with function calling / tool use
  • FIM (Fill-in-the-Middle) code completions
  • Streaming with utilities for collecting, accumulating, and transforming chunks
    (Mistral.Streaming)
  • Conversations API with multi-turn state management and helper utilities
    (Mistral.Conversations)
  • Agents API (full CRUD, versioning, aliases, completions)
  • Embeddings with similarity/distance utilities (Mistral.Embeddings)
  • Classification & Moderation
  • Batch Processing
  • Fine-tuning
  • File Operations (upload, download, list, delete)
  • OCR
  • Response Caching via ETS (Mistral.Cache)
  • Automatic retry with exponential backoff and jitter
  • Structured output (JSON mode + JSON Schema validation)

What’s new in v0.5.0

This release adds 48+ new API functions and 5 utility modules. The highlights:

  • Conversations, Agents, Classification, Batch, FIM, and Fine-tuning APIs —
    near-complete coverage of the Mistral platform
  • Mistral.Streaming — collect_content/1, accumulate_response/1, tee/2, merge/1,
    and more for working with SSE streams
  • Mistral.Embeddings — cosine similarity, euclidean distance, ranking, and batch
    comparisons
  • Mistral.Cache — optional ETS-based response caching for deterministic endpoints
  • Mistral.Conversations — helpers for extracting content, managing history, and
    sliding window context
  • Automatic retry — transient errors (408, 429, 5xx) are retried with exponential
    backoff by default

Full changelog: mistral/CHANGELOG.md at main · rodloboz/mistral · GitHub

Links

https://github.com/rodloboz/mistral

{:mistral, “~> 0.5.0”}

Feedback, issues, and PRs are very welcome!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews