docjazither

docjazither

Hi OGs,
I have a function as follow:

defp comparing_statuses(duplicates) do
    statuses = count_duplicates_statuses(duplicates)

    case statuses do
      {"one", _, "zero", _, _, _} ->
        iterate_through_duplicates_with_status_and_remove(duplicates, "approved")

      {"one", _, "one", _, _, _} ->
        deleting_approached_and_approved_case(duplicates)

      {"two or more", _, "zero", _, _, _} ->
        accumulating_required_status(duplicates, "approved")

      {"zero", "one", _, _, _, _} ->
        iterate_through_duplicates_with_status_and_remove(duplicates, [
          "invalid",
          "under_investigation",
          "suspended"
        ])

      {"zero", "two or more", _, _, _, _} ->
        accumulating_required_status(duplicates, [
          "invalid",
          "under_investigation",
          "suspended"
        ])

      {"zero", "zero", "one", _, _, "zero"} ->
        iterate_through_duplicates_with_status_and_remove(duplicates, "approached")

      {"zero", "zero", "one", _, _, "one"} ->
        iterate_through_duplicates_with_status_and_update(
          duplicates,
          "approval_requested",
          "approved"
        )

      {"zero", "zero", "two or more", _, _, "two or more"} ->
        accumulating_required_status(duplicates, "approval_requested")

      {"zero", "zero", "two or more", _, _, "zero"} ->
        iterate_through_duplicates_with_status_and_remove(duplicates, "approached")

        handle_or_email_deletion_check(duplicates)

      {"zero", "zero", "zero", "one", _, _} ->
        iterate_through_duplicates_with_status_and_remove(duplicates, "rejected")

      {"zero", "zero", "zero", "two or more", _, _} ->
        accumulating_required_status(duplicates, "rejected")

      {"zero", "zero", "zero", "zero", "one", _} ->
        iterate_through_duplicates_with_status_and_remove(duplicates, "external")

      {"zero", "zero", "zero", "zero", "two or more", _} ->
        accumulating_required_status(duplicates, "external")

      {"zero", "zero", "zero", "zero", "zero", "two or more"} ->
        mass_deletion_check(duplicates)
    end
  end

And mix credo complains me that function is too complex (CC is 15, max is 9)

I can not break the switch case into two functions, as one function can throw an error stating that pattern is not recognised

Any ideas ?
Thank you

Showing Posts 1 to 3

msimonborg

msimonborg

use multiple function heads

defp comparing_statuses(duplicates) do
  statuses = count_duplicates_statuses(duplicates)
  handle_statuses(statuses, duplicates)
end

defp handle_statuses(statuses, duplicates)

defp handle_statuses({"one", _, "zero", _, _, _}, duplicates),
  do: iterate_through_duplicates_with_status_and_remove(duplicates, "approved")

defp handle_statuses({"one", _, "one", _, _, _}, duplicates),
  do: deleting_approached_and_approved_case(duplicates)

  # etc.
end
bmitc

bmitc

I personally would just disable the Credo check, which I have done in other projects because of this. I find the multiple function clause approach too verbose in cases like this. It increases the footprint of the function with exactly duplicated information and text. In this case, the case returns are short and simple, and I would prefer case over the function clause approach here.

msimonborg

msimonborg

It’s a fair point. I read the question as “how do I re-write this”, not “how do I silence this”. Since the compiler treats the case and the multiple function clauses more or less the same way, to me this is the natural way to rewrite the code and make credo happy without touching config. What if the OP’s company requires that credo pass all checks and disabling is not allowed?

Personally, I do find the multiple function approach more readable, but it is all a matter of preference.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews