mattmartian
Hi there! I’m having an issue when running MIX_ENV=test mix test. To my knowledge it should use the test.exs file which I have hardcoded values for, but when I run my tests I notice its using runtime.exs instead - is there a way to force it to use the test.exs or am I missing something? Let me know if I can provide more information
#19 [15/15] RUN MIX_ENV=test mix test
#19 sha256:83e7457056ec38a0fe7cd22e594425c37935498ebd0a3bab75d6595cc52dcf8a
#19 1.049 Compiling 8 files (.ex)
#19 1.222 Generated app
#19 1.654 ** (System.EnvError) could not fetch environment variable "QUEUE_URL" because it is not set
#19 1.654 (elixir 1.14.5) lib/system.ex:706: System.fetch_env!/1
#19 1.654 /app/config/runtime.exs:22: (file)
#19 1.654 (stdlib 4.3.1.2) erl_eval.erl:748: :erl_eval.do_apply/7
#19 1.654 (stdlib 4.3.1.2) erl_eval.erl:961: :erl_eval.expr_list/7
#19 1.654 (stdlib 4.3.1.2) erl_eval.erl:290: :erl_eval.expr/6
#19 1.654 (stdlib 4.3.1.2) erl_eval.erl:282: :erl_eval.expr/6
#19 1.654 (stdlib 4.3.1.2) erl_eval.erl:283: :erl_eval.expr/6
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, so be gentle (or at least polite). I’ve been lurking for a while and I’m genuinely excit...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hubertlepicki
First off, you don’t need to specify MIX_ENV=test when you run
mix testunless you’re overwriting otherwise present environemnt variable of that name.Secondly, it’s expected behavior.
runtime.exsis executed at tuntime in all environments.If you want to limit the execution of
runtime.exsin anything but prod, you can add an if clause to it like this:The above would only execute the contents of the script in
:prodor:stagingenvs.mattmartian
thank you so much! appreciate the assistance