Mix failing (Mix) Could not compile dependency

Getting wierd failures on a docker build today. Not sure if this is rebar3 issue or some connectivity issue to hex.pm as I can build the project fine from my local but fails in Hetzner. It is docker build so everything is generated in a container
** (Mix) Could not compile dependency :idna, "/root/.mix/rebar3 bare compile --paths="/src/ultronex/_build/prod/lib/*/ebin"" command failed. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile idna", update it with "mix deps.update idna" or clean it with "mix deps.clean idna"

** (Mix) Could not compile dependency :mimerl, "/root/.mix/rebar3 bare compile --paths="/src/ultronex/_build/prod/lib/*/ebin"" command failed. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile mimerl", update it with "mix deps.update mimerl" or clean it with "mix deps.clean mimerl"

this seems related to an old reported issue but no solution

turns out compiling idna is a super CPU intense process and the instance kept hitting 100% and compile failed. :unamused:

2 Likes

Just a quick note for anyone coming into this thread late (like me). In the linked issue, there’s a recommendation to add a swap space. I did this on a Digitalocean droplet and it solved this issue.

8 Likes

@ajose01 thank you! This enabled me to use a $4 droplet on digital ocean to deploy my minimalistic app without upgrading memory.

1 Like