jdj_dk

jdj_dk

Hi all.
Quick question.

I have a phoenix app which does not recompile when I change any elixir code in dev mode. What could I have screwed up? :slightly_smiling_face:

If I change something and type recompile in iex in returns :noop. I am however able to recompile single modules using r Module manually.

I’m running Phoenix 1.4 and Elixir 1.7 on macOS Mojave.

Thanks in advance

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

  1. What editor are you using (there are known issues with vim and one of its plugins)
  2. Have you installed the dependencies to make filesystem watching work? I’m not sure if there is a fallback to FS polling when the necessary tools arent available.
jdj_dk

jdj_dk OP

1: VSCode right now
2: What dependencies? :slight_smile: I’ve never had this issue with other Phoenix projects

I’ve got phoenix_live_reload installed!

NobbZ

NobbZ

If other projects on the same computer work, then you probably have the system level dependencies.

Then I’d try the usual, simply remove deps and _build folder and try again.

jdj_dk

jdj_dk OP

I removed deps and _build which forced it to recompile a file system watcher. But it still doesn’t recompile on changes :cry:

jdj_dk

jdj_dk OP

Actually it seems to have been solved now. I assume thanks to your advice. Thanks :slight_smile:

jdj_dk

jdj_dk OP

Nope. The root cause seems to be that I ran it in a tmux session.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Huh? I run through tmux excessively, nor do I see any way that tmux would cause such an issue, can you elaborate more? o.O?

jdj_dk

jdj_dk OP

Well it turned out to just be a coincidence that it worked without tmux. It seems to work sometimes. It is really annoying. So Views are recompiled on change but controllers and other application code are rarely.

l00ker

l00ker

In my experience changes to the controllers usually recompile when the page is reloaded, but the controllers don’t recompile directly after code changes because they aren’t being watched for changes by live_reload, but if needed, you should be able to add them in config/dev.exs.

# config/dev.exs

...
# Watch static and templates for browser reloading.
config :my_app, MyApp.Endpoint,
  live_reload: [
    patterns: [
      ~r{priv/static/.*(js|css|png|jpeg|jpg|gif|svg)$},
      ~r{priv/gettext/.*(po)$},
+     ~r{lib/my_app_web/controllers/.*(ex)$},
      ~r{lib/my_app_web/views/.*(ex)$},
      ~r{lib/my_app_web/templates/.*(eex)$}
    ]
  ]

...

I’m guessing they were excluded from the live_reload patterns for a reason. Too many errors that way maybe? :man_shrugging:

jdj_dk

jdj_dk OP

Yeah I did not explain my self properly. It does not recompile controllers and any app code in lib/app on reload. That is the problem. Views are properly compiled on change.

It seems like Elixir doesn’t know that any files has changed. If I type recompile in iex I get :noop sometimes.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews