tao
I have a Phoenix application that uses elasticsearch-elixir. I’m deploying with Mix releases, and trying to call an indexing function against this compiled release.
The docs have a guide on running these tasks in a Distillery release. They suggest adding the following module:
defmodule Backend.Release do
# OTP apps that must be started in order for the code in this module
# to function properly.
#
# Don't forget about Ecto and Postgrex if you're using Ecto to load documents
# in your Elasticsearch.Store module!
@start_apps [
:crypto,
:ssl,
:postgrex,
:ecto,
:elasticsearch
]
# Ecto repos to start, if any
@repos Application.get_env(:my_app, :ecto_repos, [])
# Elasticsearch clusters to start
@clusters [Backend.Elasticsearch.Cluster]
# Elasticsearch indexes to build
@indexes [:instances]
def build_elasticsearch_indexes() do
start_services()
IO.puts("Building indexes...")
Enum.each(@indexes, &Elasticsearch.Index.hot_swap(Backend.Elasticsearch.Cluster, &1))
stop_services()
end
# Ensure that all OTP apps, repos used by your Elasticsearch store,
# and your Elasticsearch Cluster(s) are started
defp start_services do
IO.puts("Starting dependencies...")
Enum.each(@start_apps, &Application.ensure_all_started/1)
IO.puts("Starting repos...")
Enum.each(@repos, & &1.start_link(pool_size: 1))
IO.puts("Starting clusters...")
Enum.each(@clusters, & &1.start_link())
end
defp stop_services do
:init.stop()
end
end
I’ve tried this setup, and then running my_app eval "MyApp.ReleaseTasks.build_elasticsearch_indexes" against the compiled binary. However, it causes an error:
Starting dependencies...
Starting repos...
Starting clusters...
Building indexes...
** (exit) exited in: GenServer.call(Backend.Elasticsearch.Cluster, :config, 5000)
** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its application isn't started
(elixir) lib/gen_server.ex:1000: GenServer.call/3
(elasticsearch) lib/elasticsearch/indexing/index.ex:32: Elasticsearch.Index.hot_swap/2
(elixir) lib/enum.ex:783: Enum."-each/2-lists^foreach/1-0-"/2
(elixir) lib/enum.ex:783: Enum.each/2
lib/backend/release.ex:29: Backend.Release.build_elasticsearch_indexes/0
(stdlib) erl_eval.erl:680: :erl_eval.do_apply/6
(elixir) lib/code.ex:240: Code.eval_string/3
I think I remember reading somewhere that Application.ensure_all_started is no longer the recommended way to do something like this, but I can’t find it now. Does the above module look reasonable for Elixir 1.9 releases? Is there an obvious reason I’m missing that this doesn’t work?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jola
The new recommended way you’re referring to is specifically for Ecto migrations and can be seen here
So it doesn’t really cover your use case.
Application.ensure_all_started/1is still the correct way to start an application and its dependencies.Hard to say what’s causing your error. Are you sure you’ve started all the required processes? Are there any others in your application supervision tree that might be missing?
tao
Okay, great. If
ensure_all_startedis the correct way, then I’ll simplyensure_all_started(@app). Thank you!