cjbottaro
I have an umbrella project that has lots of Phoenix apps, background workers, etc. Releases work great for deployment when you only want to start certain applications, but what about local dev using mix?
Given an umbrella like:
umbrella
apps
foo
foo_web
foo_worker
I’d like say something like iex -S mix app.start foo and it not startup the foo_web and foo_worker apps.
I made my own custom mix task for this, but it requires compiling my app first, which is a bit wonky since most people I know just do mix deps.get; iex -S mix and let the compile happen implicitly. Also, would be better to use something built-in than something custom.
Thanks for the help!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
You can use:
To start only one application. Just remember to add
--no-haltif you run it outside of IEx.shanesveller
I typically use
mix cmd --app umbrella_child mix runorpushd/popdfor that, together with Tmux splits/panes, which can optionally be automated with projects like tmuxinator, teamocil, or a recent entrant called dmux.Our primary repository at work is a large umbrella where most development efforts target one web frontend plus data and batch processing, so around a quarter of the total repo footprint, and this model works well in that scenario.
cjbottaro
Nice, thanks for the mix command!
We use tmuxinator also, but I’m not entirely happy with it, thanks for those alternatives, going to check them out.
How do you use
pushdandpopd, I’m not getting that part.shanesveller
pushdandpopdare named after pushing and popping a stack from traditional computer science, so it looks something like: