hawkyre

hawkyre

After deploying my application to gigalixir (I believe; this may be the source of the problem but I’m not sure at all, though it doesn’t seem like it), running mix test on my local PC takes way longer than it used to. Before, it would take no more than 10 seconds, but now it takes over 20 minutes.

image

I thought maybe it would be the database, but if the wait time is mostly sync it doesn’t seem like it would be that.

Any insight on why this could be?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

hawkyre

hawkyre OP

Nevermind, for some reason now it works faster?

geoffrey

geoffrey

Hi @hawkyre,

In the case it happens again, you can run mix test --slowest to identify the slowest tests. You might have a random condition which can dramatically slow your tests.

Regards,

hawkyre

hawkyre OP

Oh alright, thanks for that!

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

This is abnormally long indeed. I’d do git bisect between the last known point in time when tests were fast and when they started being super slow.

joseph-lozano

joseph-lozano

do you have a mac m1 by any chance?

hawkyre

hawkyre OP

nope i have a windows laptop with a ryzen 5900hx and an nvidia 3080 laptop GPU + 32gb ram, which is not a bad setup at all, so i don’t know what would be going wrong

adamu

adamu

Are you hashing passwords in your tests?

If so, configuring the hashing algorithm to do fewer rounds might help. Here are the instructions for Bcrypt.

hawkyre

hawkyre OP

I am hashing password and I already configured less salt rounds for test

julismz

julismz

I do, and I’m having this problem. Do you know some existing bug or problem concerning M1?

joseph-lozano

joseph-lozano

Just my own anecdotal experience that my m1 is faster at everything compared to my intel machines, excepting compiling and running Elixir/BEAM apps.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews