b1az

b1az

I’m still getting "a previous clause at line 1 always matches" warning below, even though I long ago removed the .ex file that was re-defining the problematic DefineMessage module from exprotobuf:

> mix deps.compile
> mix compile

==> my_app
Compiling 13 files (.ex)
warning: this clause cannot match because a previous clause at line 1 always matches
  lib/exprotobuf/define_message.ex:1

This was indeed a valid warning for this project, as it used to contain a same-named module DefineMessage. The module was in a file under config/, and on deployment it would overwrite exprotobuf’s own module: we’d literally do

cp config/our_define_message.ex  \
  deps/exprotobuf/lib/exprotobuf/define_message.ex

A similar issue on GitHub was supposedly already resolved.

In despair, grep from the project root, with grouped output between .elixir_ls/, _build/ and deps/:

> grep -R DefineMessage .

Binary file ./.elixir_ls/dialyzer_tmp/.elixir_ls/build/_test/lib/exprotobuf/ebin/Elixir.Protobuf.Builder.beam matches
Binary file ./.elixir_ls/dialyzer_tmp/.elixir_ls/build/_test/lib/exprotobuf/ebin/Elixir.Protobuf.DefineMessage.beam matches
./.elixir_ls/build/_test/lib/exprotobuf/ebin/exprotobuf.app:                        'Elixir.Protobuf.DefineMessage',
Binary file ./.elixir_ls/build/_test/lib/exprotobuf/ebin/Elixir.Protobuf.Builder.beam matches
Binary file ./.elixir_ls/build/_test/lib/exprotobuf/ebin/Elixir.Protobuf.DefineMessage.beam matches

Binary file ./_build/dev/lib/my_app/.mix/compile.app_tracer matches

./_build/dev/lib/exprotobuf/ebin/exprotobuf.app:                        'Elixir.Protobuf.DefineMessage',
Binary file ./_build/dev/lib/exprotobuf/ebin/Elixir.Protobuf.Builder.beam matches
Binary file ./_build/dev/lib/exprotobuf/ebin/Elixir.Protobuf.DefineMessage.beam matches

grep: ./deps/setup/xtest/testapp-2/rebar: No such file or directory
grep: ./deps/setup/xtest/testapp-1/rebar: No such file or directory

./deps/exprotobuf/lib/exprotobuf/define_message.ex:defmodule Protobuf.DefineMessage do
./deps/exprotobuf/lib/exprotobuf/builder.ex:  import Protobuf.DefineMessage, only: [def_message: 3]

Any ideas where the issue might lie much appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

patfranciso

patfranciso

Try
$ mix clean

before

$ mix compile

b1az

b1az OP

Thanks for the suggestion. Alas, neither mix clean nor mix clean --deps worked.

mix clean --deps seems to delete _build/$MIX_ENV. I even tried rm -rf deps/ _build/ before in vain. Open to further suggestions, I need to get rid of this last warning.

PS. Recloned the project, ran rm -rf .git _build deps and recompiled. Still, the warning persists.

Maybe unrelated, but even with elixir set to 1.10.4 via asdf…

$ asdf install
elixir 1.10.4-otp-23 is already installed
erlang 23.1 is already installed

… elixir --version still returns 1.11.2.

$ elixir --version  
Erlang/OTP 23 [erts-11.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

Elixir 1.11.2 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 23)
axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Maybe you’ve installed something as a global archive? Also something appears to be incorrect in your asdf setup if the incorrect version is being used. Does asdf current also show 1.10.4? What does which -a elixir show?

b1az

b1az OP

Thanks for the help Jason. I’ve looked further into both areas you mention, global archives and asdf.

Global archive

I think these are the only global archives.

$ ls ~/.mix/archives
hex-0.20.1           hex.ez        phoenix_new-1.1.2.ez   phx_new-1.4.10

asdf v0.8.0

asdf current looks ok.

$ asdf current
elixir          1.10.4-otp-23   ~/my_app/.tool-versions
erlang          23.1            ~/my_app/.tool-versions

List of all elixir executables ok as well.

$ which -a elixir
~/.asdf/shims/elixir
/usr/local/bin/elixir

And the content of the above shim.

#!/usr/bin/env bash
# asdf-plugin: elixir
exec /usr/local/opt/asdf/bin/asdf exec "elixir" "$@" # Running this with "--version" arg does return 1.11.2 though

Worth noting that I also ‘fixed’ the syntax error before: "$@" issue with asdf’s mix shim and changed ~/.asdf/shims/mix from

#!/usr/bin/env bash
# asdf-plugin: elixir
exec /usr/local/opt/asdf/bin/asdf exec "mix" "$@"

to a ‘working’ version.

#!/usr/bin/env elixir
Mix.start
Mix.CLI.main
factoryd

factoryd

I’ve had this happen quite a bit and removing the ElixiLS directory always resolves it.

rm -rf ./.elixir_ls

b1az

b1az OP

Thanks. Alas, even

rm -rf .elixir_ls deps _build
mix deps.get
mix compile

didn’t resolve this warning.

ericmj

ericmj

Elixir Core Team

Can you share the project or a project that reproduces the issue so that we can take a look?

b1az

b1az OP

Yes, will try to reproduce in a sample project. If that fails, I’ll try to get an approval from the stakeholders.

avix990

avix990

I’m having a similar issue with one of my projects, where one of the types modules for Absinthe, is returning me this error:

I have tried all the steps mentioned above, but the error persists.

mfilej

mfilej

Same issue here on the Types GraphQL module (use Absinthe.Schema.Notation).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews