gpreston

gpreston

Hi all, I’m having trouble on the final mile of solving a problem using Mnesia. The use cases details are:

  • I have multiple nodes that each track some local in-memory state (for me these are specifically streams, so I will call them that)
  • Each node needs to be able to ask a small set of questions about the global state, specifically “what are all the streams that are running?
  • The cluster is deployed on fly.io, which auto start/stops machines based on usage.

To accomplish this, Mnesia seemed like a natural choice, being built-in to the BEAM. However, I keep running into the same problem which manifests in a few ways: Mnesia wants to know on start-up which nodes to put a table on.

  • the first issue with this is dns_cluster, which fly.io uses by default, discovers nodes after the application is started. I’d think this is fine, because my schema is more or less “stream ID => stream metadata”, and stream IDs are unique (and if there is a conflict, some kind of handling can be defined), so this connect-after-start could simply merge Mnesia tables. This also is the same problem as scaling to another region without wanting to re-deploy the application.
  • The next problem is Mnesia tables don’t like to merge. If they were defined with different node lists, one of them essentially has to be deleted while the other is replicated to the new node. I feel like I could program this but it just sounds like a pain to manage, feels like a solution should already exist, and feels like it means a network split is impossible to smoothly recover from. Even if one of the tables is empty, as long as it exists, Mnesia makes a fuss.

So I am wondering:

  1. Is there a better, simpler solution for my use case that I’m not thinking of?
  2. If Mnesia can actually work well here, what am I missing about table merging to make it possible?

Thanks for any insight!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews