hassamali

hassamali

I want to mock the test with s3 library just to make sure my module is working. This is what i have done so far but i don’t want to use aws keys and secret what else i need to do so my testing scenario don’t use the keys and just test the module

uploads_test.ex

defmodule SignatureWeb.UploadsTest do
  use ExUnit.Case, async: false
  alias Signature.Uploads
  import Mox

  setup :verify_on_exit!

  describe "upload/1" do
    test "write s3 bucket with file and path name and return ok with s3 path" do
      content = "signature"

     SignatureWeb.ExAwsHttpMock
      |> expect(:request, 1, fn _method, _url, _body, _headers, _opts ->
        {:ok, %{status_code: 200}}
      end)

      assert Uploads.upload(content) == {:ok, "signatures/signature"}
    end
  end
end

uploads.ex ( upload module which logic i want to test in test )

defmodule SignatureWeb.Uploads do
  def upload(content) do
    # path to bucket + filename
    s3_path = "signatures/#{content}"

    bucket_name =
      :email_messaging
      |> Application.fetch_env!(__MODULE__)
      |> Keyword.fetch!(:bucket_name)

    bucket_name
    |> ExAws.S3.put_object(s3_path, content)
    |> ExAws.request()
    |> handle_aws_response(s3_path)
  end

  defp handle_aws_response({:ok, _}, s3_path), do: {:ok, s3_path}
  defp handle_aws_response({:error, reason}, _), do: {:error, reason}
end

Showing Posts 1 to 3

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You cannot hardcode ExAws.request() if you want your code to use your mock for testing. You need to use some means of altering the module you‘re calling the request/1 function on.

0x6a68

0x6a68

I am doing something similiar also with Mox.

First i create a Impl file:

stats_logs_impl.ex

defmodule Stats.Logs.Impl do
  @callback fetch(Date.t(), String.t()) :: String.t()
end

then i create the API file:

stats_logs_impl.ex

defmodule Stats.Logs do
  @behaviour Stats.Logs.Impl

  @impl true
  def fetch(date, bucket), do: impl().fetch(date, bucket)

  defp impl, do: Application.get_env(:stats_logs, :impl, Stats.Logs.S3)
end

And finally the implementation

stats_logs_s3.ex

defmodule Stats.Logs.S3 do
  @behaviour Stats.Logs.Impl

  @impl true
  def fetch(%Date{} = date, bucket) do
    ...
  end
end

With this setup i can easily mock the module Stats.Log and its function fetch/2.

zgore

zgore

For those who are still wondering, yes it’s possible to use mock with ExAws without wrapping ExAws.request/2 in another module in order to mock it.

To do so, I read how they are testing their own module : ExAws Github

In fact, they are mocking the HTTP client underneath.
We can do exactly the same thing and mock the HTTP client in our tests.

In the business logic code:

...
    response =
      bucket_name
      |> S3.get_object(filename_path)
      |> ExAws.request(get_ex_aws_request_config_override())
...
  def get_ex_aws_request_config_override,
    do: Application.get_env(:ex_aws, :request_config_override)

config.exs:

...
config :ex_aws,
  ...
  # note: it's a custom config, ex_aws will not take it in account directly
  request_config_override: %{}
...

test.exs:

...
config :ex_aws,
  request_config_override: %{
    http_client: ExAws.Request.HttpMock,
    access_key_id: "AKIAIOSFODNN7EXAMPLE",
    secret_access_key: "wJalrXUtnFEMI/K7MDENG/bPxRfiCYEXAMPLEKEY"
  }
...

In the test code:

stub(ExAws.Request.HttpMock, :request, fn
      _method, _url, _body, _headers, _opts -> 
           # whatever you want to return, example:
           {:ok, %{status_code: 200, body: ""}}
    end)

I hope it will help !

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews