tomekowal

tomekowal

I am reading “Domain modelling made functional” and many ideas resonate with me. The examples are in F♯ but some ideas are general and transferrable to all languages.

One idea is that we should write types like UnverifiedEmail and VerifiedEmail and then

  @type unvalidated_email() :: String.t()
  @type validated_email() :: String.t()

  @spec validate_email(unvalidated_email()) :: validated_email()
  def validate_email(u), do: u

  @spec an_email() :: unvalidated_email()
  def an_email(), do: "example@gmail.com"

  @spec send_message(validated_email()) :: :ok
  def send_message(_e), do: :ok

  @spec run() :: :ok
  def run() do
    send_message(an_email())
    :ok
  end

In F♯ code like that would fail to compile because send_message tries to use unverified email. Dialyzer success typing passes so I can’t enforce it with Dialyzer.

Another approach would be to use an %UnverifiedEmail{} struct and %VerifiedEmail{} structs all over the code.

That would require creating a lot of small (one field) structs. My questions are: have anyone tried modelling the domain with multiple structs? How much using a lot of structs affected compilation time?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

peerreynders

peerreynders

Probably too naive an approach for your purpose - but here it is.

hlalvesbr

hlalvesbr

Erlang and Elixir are more on the dynamic typed languages field. If you want strong guarantees at compile time, you should try Haskell, OCaml or F#.

tomekowal

tomekowal OP

Thanks. I need OTP so I won’t move to other language. I am just researching tools that might improve design in the project. I’ll check out Witchcraft GitHub - witchcrafters/witchcraft: Monads and other dark magic for Elixir · GitHub It is not really idiomatic so I wanted to check if I can “simulate” type safety with something simpler.
Do you know any statically typed languages for BEAM? I know about GitHub - wende/elchemy: Write Elixir code using statically-typed Elm-like syntax (compatible with Elm tooling) · GitHub GitHub - alpaca-lang/alpaca: Functional programming inspired by ML for the Erlang VM · GitHub

stefanluptak

stefanluptak

zkessin

zkessin

The problem is that both types are defined as String.t(), what you want to do is define the types in some way that they can not mix. such as {:validated_email, String.t()} and {:unvalidated_email, String.t()} then dialyzer (and your pattern matching) can validate things.

@type validated_email() :: {:validated_email, String.t()}
@type unvalidated_email() :: {:unvalidated_email, String.t()}
@spec validate_email(unvalidated_email()) :: validated_email()
def validate_email({:unvalidated_email, u}), do: {:validated_email, u}

In general, in terms of types, a String is a String. so using an atom in a tuple or other data structure allows dialyzer to catch this.

This video goes over this in more details

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I believe the “standard Elixir” way would be using tuples like @zkessin mentioned above; I read the Elixir form:

{:ok, value}

as mostly-equivalent to the Elm/Haskell form:

Ok value

Code can pattern-match values out of a tuple in function heads / case blocks.

case some_value do
  {:ok, result} ->
    # use result
  {:error, msg} ->
    IO.puts(msg)
end

and with blocks can work like do-notation:

with {:ok, result1} <- operation_1(),
     {:ok, result2} <- operation_2(result1) do
  # use result2
else
  {:error, :operation_1_failed} ->
    # etc
end
imetallica

imetallica

Honestly, you cannot validate that on compile time, but you can enforce that on runtime via pattern matching. I would suggest something like this, although I feel it’s a bit of overkill:

def an_email(), do: %UnvalidatedEmail{email: "foo@bar.com"}

@spec validate(UnvalidatedEmail.t) :: Email.t
def validate(%UnvalidatedEmail{email: email} do
  # Your validations here...
  %Email{email: email, valid: true}
end

@spec send_message(Email.t) :: :ok | {:error, term}
def send_message(%Email{valid: true} = email), do: :ok
def send_message(_), do: {:error, :invalid_email} 
Moxide

Moxide

Hello, you are not alone to “resonate” with the ideas presented in this great book :wink:
When I tried to reproduce in Elixir some on the examples given, I used the “all is struct” approach and the typed_struct library.
Then played with VSCode and dialyzer (using the dialyzer underspecs and overspecs options).

Here is the code (just a POC ! ;-)) :

defmodule OrderTakingTypes do
  defmodule OrderLines do
    use TypedStruct

    typedstruct do
      field(:lines, list(OrderLine.t()), default: [])
    end
  end

  defmodule OrderLine do
    use TypedStruct

    typedstruct do
      field(:product_code, String.t(), enforce: true)
      field(:quantity, number(), default: 0)
      field(:price, number(), default: 0)
    end
  end

  defmodule ShippingAddress do
    use TypedStruct

    typedstruct enforce: true do
      field(:town, String.t())
      field(:zip_code, String.t())
    end
  end

  defmodule Order do
    use TypedStruct

    typedstruct enforce: true do
      field(:shipping_address, ShippingAddress.t())
      field(:order_lines, list(OrderLine.t()))
    end
  end

  defmodule ValidatedOrder do
    use TypedStruct

    typedstruct enforce: true do
      field(:order, Order.t())
      field(:validation_date, DateTime.t())
    end
  end
end
defmodule TypeDemo do
  alias OrderTakingTypes.{OrderLines, OrderLine, ShippingAddress, Order, ValidatedOrder}

  def send() do
    %OrderLines{
      lines: [
        %OrderLine{price: 10, product_code: "SKU-0001", quantity: 5}
      ]
    }
    |> send_to(%ShippingAddress{zip_code: "69000", town: "Lyon"})
  end

  @spec send_to(OrderLines.t(), ShippingAddress.t()) :: :ok
  def send_to(%OrderLines{lines: order_lines}, %ShippingAddress{} = address) do
    %Order{
      shipping_address: address,
      order_lines: order_lines
    }
    |> validate_order()
    |> process_order()
  end

  @spec validate_order(Order.t()) :: ValidatedOrder.t() | ErrorResponse.t()
  def validate_order(%Order{order_lines: order_lines} = order) when length(order_lines) > 0 do
    %ValidatedOrder{
      order: order,
      validation_date: DateTime.utc_now()
    }
  end
  def validate_order(%Order{order_lines: order_lines}) when length(order_lines) == 0,
    do: %ErrorResponse{code: 500, message: "OrderLines cannot be empty"}
  def validate_order(_), do: %ErrorResponse{code: 500, message: "Unknown error"}

  @spec process_order(ValidatedOrder.t() | ErrorResponse.t()) :: :ok
  def process_order(%ValidatedOrder{
        order: %Order{shipping_address: %ShippingAddress{town: town, zip_code: zip_code}}
      }),
      do: IO.puts("Processed shipping to #{zip_code}, #{town}")
  def process_order(%ErrorResponse{code: code, message: message}),
    do: IO.puts("Error occured with code '#{code}' and message '#{message}'")
  def process_order(_), do: IO.puts("Weird error")
end

Depending of the type of error you introduce (missing return type in @spec for instance) and on the Dialyzer options, it will be too verbose or too silent.

tomekowal

tomekowal OP

So, there is at least a couple of different methods.
Using tagged tuples, structs, macros with structs alone, macros generating structs and types like in typed_struct or algae.
Building on that there are a couple of libraries for handling flows with errors ok_jose, exceptional, witchcraft (which has also more functors, monands, monodis and so on).
I wish there was a standard way of doing this stuff either baked into the language or a library that people agree to use (like it was with Timex).

Thanks for your input!

woohaaha

woohaaha

It has been some time since you’ve asked this question. Have you settled on a pattern you enjoy using? If so, mind sharing a contrived elixir example? Thank you

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews