dimitarvp
Hey everybody,
I scanned the forum for an hour or so and couldn’t help but notice that various offerings in the books department seem little outdated – f.ex. the “Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook” seems to cover Elixir 1.2 and 1.3 which in my eyes is not ideal (supervisor / worker configuration has changed since).
As of the beginning of 2019, what would everybody recommend on these topics?
- Functional programming + Elixir
- Phoenix (+ Presence, + Sockets)
- OTP itself; could be Erlang but ideally I’d prefer Elixir
- Event sourcing, CQRS, command patterns
- Bonus points for something like Okasaki’s book about purely functional data structures but not working with C++ if possible (we’re looking to apply that knowledge in immutable FP languages after all).
I’m looking to become a bit more formally and more widely practically educated and your suggestions will be of great help.
Thanks.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
idi527
Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP

kokolegorille
+1 for Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rwh/theses/okasaki.pdf
axelson
Programming Phoenix 1.4, eBook just released, print coming 2/19: Search
Elixir in Action, Second Edition: Elixir in Action, Second Edition - Saša Jurić
Ready as of 1/16
The latter half of the book covers “thinking in OTP” well
sandymatt
For Phoenix Presence, there’s an entire chapter in “Phoenix Web Development”, from Packt.
https://www.packtpub.com/web-development/phoenix-web-development
I’m about halfway through that book, and it’s definitely an intermediate book, pretty solid and I’ve learned a good deal.
Also, Pragmatic Studio has their “Unpacked Bingo” course, which uses phoenix and presence. I haven’t started watching it yet - it’s next on my list.
meraj_enigma
@dimitarvp List of books -
For Elixir - Programming Elixir 1.6 (Search)
For Phoenix - Programming Phoenix 1.4 (Search)
For OTP - The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook (The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook - Benjamin Tan Wei Hao)
and one more good one -
Functional Web Development with Elixir, OTP, and Phoenix (Search)
LostKobrakai
For me the combo would be “Programming Phoenix 1.4” and “Elixir in Action”.