fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I was looking over Ecto and CockroachDB issue: (CaseClauseError) no case clause matching - #9 by Ankhers
The basic need we have is that we need many select queries such as this:

SELECT x, y, z
FROM foobar f
WHERE f.x = 'some-condition';

to be modified to include AS OF SYSTEM TIME, like this:

SELECT x, y, z
FROM foobar f
AS OF SYSTEM TIME '-5m'
WHERE f.x = 'some-condition';

These are called follower reads by Cockroach – it’s important to specify this to avoid data sync errors and to take advantage of reading from replicas. It basically allows the query to say “it’s ok if the data is x minutes old”.

The problem is that when Ecto generates the query or renders a fragment, the clauses appear in ways that are considered invalid (from Cockroach’s point of view). I’ve tried a few different things here including the fragment example in the other post as well as including literal clauses, but so far, I haven’t found a winning combination. It would be possible to come up with my own alternative to the from macro, but I’m hoping there’s an easier way.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Showing Posts 1 to 7

Ankhers

Ankhers

This is going to be a non-answer to your question but I think the proper way of handling this would be to create a CockroachDB adapter for ecto that can handle these scenarios. The good news is that ~99% of it should already be done.

If you take a look at the official ecto adapters, you will notice that there is a common SQL module that all of the SQL adapters will call. There is no reason we could not do the same with a cockroach adapter calling postgres. We would only need to implement the differences. In this case we could probably do something like

from(
  f in Foo,
  as_of_system_time: ^"-5m",
  where: ...
)

Then the adapter can all the postgres adapter for everything except the :as_of_system_time key and it can do its own thing.

There may be additional work that needs to be done, but this I think would be the way to get started.

fuelen

fuelen

This won’t even compile as the key is unknown.

Ankhers

Ankhers

Of course it does not compile right now. No one created the adapter that my comment is suggesting to make.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Hmm… there is this repo CockroachDB Ecto Adaptor — CockroachDB Ecto Adaptor v1.0.0
It’s been archived because it’s no longer needed (see GitHub - jumpn/ecto_cockroachdb: CockroachDB adaptor for Ecto 3.x · GitHub)

I guess I should figure out the functionality first before worrying about a package name…

Thank you for your suggestions @Ankhers – I’ll see if I can wrap my head around how the Ecto macros are structured.

Ankhers

Ankhers

Let me know if you would like help here. I do not have a project that uses cockroach right now, but I would like an excuse to use it. I might be able to throw something together that can be used as a base.

fuelen

fuelen

I mean, this is not only about adapter.
Building an Ecto.Query doesn’t depend on used adapter in compile time.
In order to add a new keyword, Ecto.Query struct has to be extended.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Right – I’ve just tracked this down in the code and I’ve reached the same conclusion. It seems like maybe what’s needed is more of an augmentation of Ecto.Query and not necessarily a completely separate database adapter. :thinking:

I started inspecting the %Ecto.Query{} struct that gets generated by an Ecto query (e.g. one including the from macro), but I didn’t see any way to manipulate that (granted, this may not be the simplest code to follow)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews