dewetblomerus

dewetblomerus

@victorbjorklund thanks for your @ThinkingElixir #167 on Phoenix Generators.

This would solve a problem at work where we want all new services to have certain observability libraries installed and to respond to a health check without logging, etc.

I tried your article Build your custom Phoenix phx.new generator

I can not get into a state where my modified generator and the original generator both work. I need this because it would be bad if someone goes to make a side-project on their work laptop and ends up with the company’s setup.

Here are the steps I took:

  • Make a copy of the installer dir with my own name.
  • Rename the file and module name for /lib/mix/tasks/phx.new_project.ex
  • Edit /templates/phx_single/mix.exs

Now I can run mix phx.new_dw foo and I get the modified mix.exs. But if I run mix phx.new foo I also get the modified mix.exs.

I tried renaming the app: :phx_new in the installer/mix.exs. This really made it seem like I found the correct thing, because it generated a differently named file in ~/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.15.4-otp-26/.mix/archives/ but still, both commands generate the modified code.

I tried deleting and re-generating the files in ~/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.15.4-otp-26/.mix/archives/, this produced the same result.

Do you have an example of a GitHub project where you have a modified version of the generator that still allows you to call the official Phoenix generator when you want to?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Oh man, if you succeed in this and even open-source it, I am definitely buying you a pizza and a beer!

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That renames just the archive, but the mix task names are still infered from the module names of those mix tasks.

dewetblomerus

dewetblomerus OP

This rings true. But when I have two different installer directories, one with a mix phx.new and the other with a mix phx.new_dw, both of them ends up applying the changes I made in my new installer_dw directory.

dewetblomerus

dewetblomerus OP

I will at least open source a toy version of this if I got it working. No pizza or beer required.

For personal projects, my only need is that mix_test_watch is included on every Elixir project ever :grinning_face:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews