venomnert

venomnert

I am just doing some poking around with module attribute and I created the following code:

defmodule ModuleAttribute do
  Module.register_attribute(__MODULE__, :test_attribute, accumulate: true)
  @test_attribute 1
  @test_attribute 10
  def increase(), do: IO.inspect(@test_attribute, label: "Value")
  @test_attribute 20
end

When I run iex -S mix i get the following values

iex(40)> ModuleAttribute.increase     
Value: [10, 1]

If my understanding of elixir compilation is correct, should it be [1, 10, 20]? I am not sure why 20 didn’t get added in during compilation.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

This is correct. Module attributes always have the value assigned to it in lines above the call. Basically you “hardcode” the parameter of IO.inspect at the time line 5 is compiled.

NobbZ

NobbZ

20 isn’t in the list, because you only add it to the list after reading it. Each usage of a module attribute will only ever know about values that have been assigned before its usage, pretty much like regular variables.

venomnert

venomnert OP

@LostKobrakai and obbZ thanks for your quick response. I understand now.

One quick question about Module.register_attribute/3, is this function used to track the changes made to a module attribute?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

For note, module attributes are a lot like normal bindings, just saving you from typing the unquote part.

So this:

defmodule ModuleAttribute do
  @thing 1
  @thing 2
  def blah(), do: @thing # returns 2
  @thing 3
end

Is the same as this:

defmodule ModuleAttribute do
  thing = 1
  thing = 2
  def blah(), do: unquote(thing) # returns 2
  thing = 3
end

And thus this with an accumulated attribute:

defmodule ModuleAttribute do
  Module.register_attribute(__MODULE__, :thing, accumulate: true)
  @thing 1
  @thing 2
  def blah(), do: @thing # returns [2, 1]
  @thing 3
end

Is the same as this:

defmodule ModuleAttribute do
  thing = []
  thing = [1 | thing]
  thing = [2 | thing] # So this is now [2, 1]
  def blah(), do: unquote(thing) # returns [2, 1]
  thing = [3 | thing]
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews