ImNotAVirus

ImNotAVirus

Today I encountered an weird behavior when I tried to change the accumulate option for a module attribute.

I would like to know if this behavior is intended since the documentation does not mention it.

In summary the steps are:

  • Create a module attribute with the accumulate: true option
  • Delete the module attribute
  • Recreate it with the accumulate: false option
  • Try to assign values, they will still be accumulated

Here is an example :

defmodule ModuleDeleteTest do
  # 1/ Define a module attribute with accumulate: true
  Module.register_attribute(__MODULE__, :attribut, accumulate: true)
  
  # 2/ Then delete and recreate the module attribute but with accumulate: false
  Module.delete_attribute(__MODULE__, :attribut)
  Module.register_attribute(__MODULE__, :attribut, accumulate: false)

  # Unfortunately, the accumulate: true flag is still present
  @attribut :foo
  @attribut :bar
  
  # > CURRENT attribut value: [:bar, :foo]
  IO.inspect(@attribut, label: "CURRENT attribut value")
end

On this example I was expecting@attribut to be equals to :bar at the end.

After examining the Elixir source code, I noticed that delete_attribute/2 with accumulate: true does remove the attribute from the bag but not from the set. As a result, the set still contains the accumulate: true flag.

Here here a quick fix:

defmodule ModuleFix do
  def delete_attribute(module, key) do
    {set, _bag} = :elixir_module.data_tables(module)
    
    # Here bag is clean by Module.delete_attribute/2
    Module.delete_attribute(module, key)
    
    # But you also need to clean the set or the module attribute
    # still have the :accumulate flag set
    :ets.delete(set, key)
  end
end

defmodule ModuleDeleteTestFix do
  # 1/ Define a module attribute with accumulate: true
  Module.register_attribute(__MODULE__, :attribut, accumulate: true)
  
  # 2/ Then delete and recreate the module attribute but with accumulate: false
  ModuleFix.delete_attribute(__MODULE__, :attribut)
  Module.register_attribute(__MODULE__, :attribut, accumulate: false)

  # Now, module attribute is properly reset
  @attribut :foo
  @attribut :bar
  
  # > FIXED field value: :bar
  IO.inspect(@attribut, label: "FIXED attribut value")
end

As said in the introduction, I don’t know if this behavior is intended and if it is, I think it should be mentioned in the doc If it’s not, I’d be happy to open an issue on Github and propose a PR.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews