Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background
Background
I am trying to run the demo app desktop-example-app showed in Elixir Berlin meetup February 2021:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFpBHQ0YEw4&t=2016s
- GitHub - elixir-desktop/desktop-example-app: Elixir Sample App using the Desktop library with LiveView to create a desktop app · GitHub
I can launch the application, however when it opens it keeps crashing.
Problem
While it keeps erroring out I have noticed the following error:
ERROR in ./css/app.scss
Module build failed (from ./node_modules/mini-css-extract-plugin/dist/loader.js):
ModuleBuildError: Module build failed (from ./node_modules/sass-loader/dist/cjs.js):
Error: Missing binding /home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/node-sass/vendor/linux-x64-72/binding.node
Node Sass could not find a binding for your current environment: Linux 64-bit with Node.js 12.x
Found bindings for the following environments:
- Linux 64-bit with Node.js 14.x
This usually happens because your environment has changed since running `npm install`.
Run `npm rebuild node-sass` to download the binding for your current environment.
at module.exports (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/node-sass/lib/binding.js:15:13)
at Object.<anonymous> (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/node-sass/lib/index.js:14:35)
at Module._compile (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/v8-compile-cache/v8-compile-cache.js:192:30)
at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1178:10)
at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1002:32)
at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:901:14)
at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1044:19)
at require (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/v8-compile-cache/v8-compile-cache.js:159:20)
at getDefaultSassImplementation (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/sass-loader/dist/getDefaultSassImplementation.js:24:10)
at getSassImplementation (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/sass-loader/dist/getSassImplementation.js:19:72)
at Object.loader (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/sass-loader/dist/index.js:40:61)
at /home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/webpack/lib/NormalModule.js:316:20
at /home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/loader-runner/lib/LoaderRunner.js:367:11
at /home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/loader-runner/lib/LoaderRunner.js:233:18
at runSyncOrAsync (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/loader-runner/lib/LoaderRunner.js:143:3)
at iterateNormalLoaders (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/loader-runner/lib/LoaderRunner.js:232:2)
at Array.<anonymous> (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/loader-runner/lib/LoaderRunner.js:205:4)
at Storage.finished (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/enhanced-resolve/lib/CachedInputFileSystem.js:55:16)
at /home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/enhanced-resolve/lib/CachedInputFileSystem.js:91:9
at /home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/graceful-fs/graceful-fs.js:123:16
at FSReqCallback.readFileAfterClose [as oncomplete] (internal/fs/read_file_context.js:63:3)
@ ./js/app.js 4:0-25
@ multi ./js/app.js
Child mini-css-extract-plugin node_modules/css-loader/dist/cjs.js!node_modules/sass-loader/dist/cjs.js!css/app.scss:
Entrypoint mini-css-extract-plugin = *
[./node_modules/css-loader/dist/cjs.js!./node_modules/sass-loader/dist/cjs.js!./css/app.scss] 1.76 KiB {mini-css-extract-plugin} [built] [failed] [1 error]
ERROR in ./css/app.scss (./node_modules/css-loader/dist/cjs.js!./node_modules/sass-loader/dist/cjs.js!./css/app.scss)
Module build failed (from ./node_modules/sass-loader/dist/cjs.js):
Error: Missing binding /home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/node-sass/vendor/linux-x64-72/binding.node
Node Sass could not find a binding for your current environment: Linux 64-bit with Node.js 12.x
Found bindings for the following environments:
- Linux 64-bit with Node.js 14.x
This usually happens because your environment has changed since running `npm install`.
Run `npm rebuild node-sass` to download the binding for your current environment.
at module.exports (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/node-sass/lib/binding.js:15:13)
at Object.<anonymous> (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/node-sass/lib/index.js:14:35)
at Module._compile (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/v8-compile-cache/v8-compile-cache.js:192:30)
at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1178:10)
at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1002:32)
at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:901:14)
at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1044:19)
at require (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/v8-compile-cache/v8-compile-cache.js:159:20)
at getDefaultSassImplementation (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/sass-loader/dist/getDefaultSassImplementation.js:24:10)
at getSassImplementation (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/sass-loader/dist/getSassImplementation.js:19:72)
at Object.loader (/home/pedro/Workplace/fl4m3/desktop-example-app/assets/node_modules/sass-loader/dist/index.js:40:61)
What I tried
So, to fixed this I did:
cd assetsnpm install --save --prefix assets mdn-polyfills url-search-params-polyfill formdata-polyfill child-replace-with-polyfill classlist-polyfill new-event-polyfill @webcomponents/template shim-keyboard-event-key core-jsnpx browserslist@latest --update-dbcd ../mix phx.digest
And the I run it normally: ./run
Question
I believe I have following every instruction, however I still cannot get the app to work.
What am I doing wrong?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Did you do what the error suggests:
npm rebuild node-sass?Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Running that fixed one of the errors, but now I get another one:
kokolegorille
I would advise You to replace node-sass, by sass…
Remove “node-sass”: “^4.13.1”
(npm uninstall …)
Add sass
03juan
If you
cd assetsthen you don’t need the--prefix assetsflag.Fl4m3Ph03n1x
This is the solution that fixed the issue.
Thanks !
If I may ask, why did you advised this course of action?
kokolegorille
Because node-sass has been a real burden for Phoenix Team Core members when version broke the asset pipeline.
https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/issues/4126
Not only this, but node-sass might be the main reason why Phoenix moved to esbuild