Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background
I am trying a new library called Monadex and in specific I am trying the Result Monad. The documentation mentions a function called Result.bind and I have made it work with the following code snippet:
defmodule TestMonadex do
use Monad.Operators
import Monad.Result
def p1(x) do
x
|> success()
|> bind(&plus_1/1)
end
defp plus_1(n), do: n + 1
end
And so far so good.
Problem
The problem arises when I try to use the bind operator. According to the docs, this operator is the same thing as the Result.bind function. Following this logic, the following code snippet should work:
defmodule TestMonadex do
use Monad.Operators
import Monad.Result
def p2(x) do
success(x) ->> (&plus_1/1) # This does not compile!
end
defp plus_1(n), do: n + 1
end
Unfortunately, this is not compiling:
(SyntaxError) syntax error before: '>'
Stacktrace:
│ (elixir 1.11.2) lib/kernel/parallel_compiler.ex:314: anonymous fn/4 in Kernel.ParallelCompiler.spawn_workers/7
an expression is always required on the right side of ->. Please provide a value after ->
At this point I strongly believe I am not understanding something from the docs or from the library.
Question
What a I doing wrong?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dorgan
The operator is
~>>, not->>. It uses a tilde~instead of a dash. That code is parsed asIe
->followed by the strictly greather than operator>, which is invalid.Fl4m3Ph03n1x
So the documentation is wrong:
Or does it appear different in your browser ?
dorgan
I still see a tilde, but the font choice may be a poor one and it’s easy to not spot the difference
It’s clearer looking at the source: MonadEx/lib/monad/operators.ex at master · rob-brown/MonadEx · GitHub
Or zooming:
Definitely an accessibility issue
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Good point there, even the URL has a tilde.
Out of curiosity, what is your browser’s default font ?
dorgan
The default one, it think it’s Arial since I’m on windows.
I do see the same as in your screenshot though, and the difference is barely noticeable.